History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

3-21, Marsh Lane

A Grade II Listed Building in Halifax, Calderdale

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.7172 / 53°43'1"N

Longitude: -1.841 / 1°50'27"W

OS Eastings: 410588

OS Northings: 424538

OS Grid: SE105245

Mapcode National: GBR HTLG.67

Mapcode Global: WHC9M.PTJQ

Entry Name: 3-21, Marsh Lane

Listing Date: 3 January 1967

Last Amended: 2 December 1983

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1133815

English Heritage Legacy ID: 338884

Location: Calderdale, HX3

County: Calderdale

Electoral Ward/Division: Town

Built-Up Area: Halifax

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Southowram St Anne-in-the-Grove

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Halifax

Listing Text

BRIGHOUSE MARSH LANE
SE 12 SW (south side)

3/145 Nos. 3 to 21 (odd)
(formerly listed as barn at
Upper Marsh Farmhouse,
3.1.67 No 3, 5, 7 (shop) Nos 9, 11,
13, 15, 17, 19)
G.V.
II

House of 1678 with range of 1767 to North forming a courtyard plan. Hammer-
dressed stone, stone slate roof. Main front of C17 house faces north into
courtyard, has through passage plan, double pile. Doorway with moulded surround
at left hand end and depressed Tudor lintel engraved 'SI 1678' with small 2-
light window, false arched heads, and curved head which terminates string which
carries over whole facade. The remaining windows are double chamfered mullioned
and transomed of 12 lights (originally 20) with 12-light window over, next to it
a 10-light to right, with 2 cross windows under. Over cross passage, another.
Opposite side of courtyard has segmental cart entry with dropped keystone, dated
1767 with initials '- SI'. South front has main feature of doorway with
pulvinated frieze. The east gable front, which has been raised, has various
blocked openings and a columbarium, and 4 bays of the C18 range with flat faced
mullion windows of 4 lights, some reduced to 2. The facade to Marsh Lane has
more of the same, mostly altered.


Listing NGR: SE1058824538

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.