History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St John

A Grade II Listed Building in Hipperholme and Lightcliffe, Calderdale

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.7386 / 53°44'18"N

Longitude: -1.8123 / 1°48'44"W

OS Eastings: 412478

OS Northings: 426926

OS Grid: SE124269

Mapcode National: GBR HTS6.FK

Mapcode Global: WHC9N.4988

Entry Name: Church of St John

Listing Date: 3 January 1967

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1133829

English Heritage Legacy ID: 338817

Location: Calderdale, HX3

County: Calderdale

Electoral Ward/Division: Hipperholme and Lightcliffe

Built-Up Area: Bradford

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Coley St John the Baptist

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Halifax

Listing Text

BRIGHOUSE COLEY ROAD
SE 12 NW (east side)

1/69 Church of St. John
(formerly listed under Coley)
3.1.67
II

Church. 1816 by William Bradley (Halifax) restored and altered by Hodgson Fowler
c.1900. Hammer-dressed stone ashlar dressings. Wide nave of 5 bays and 1 bay
of chancel, and west tower. Gothic revival. Buttresses of various types,
octagonal to the tower, diagonal to the ends and angled to the nave. Embattled
parapet. The nave windows are divided by deep transoms at gallery level into low
3-light windows with trefoil heads to the lights, and above 3-light pointed
windows with intersecting tracery. The tower is of 3 tall stages with deepset
west doorway and belfry openings which unite the elements of the nave windows.
3-light east window with perpendicular tracery flanked by 2-light windows with
'Y' tracery.

Interior: 5 bay wide-nave with aisles. Arcades.formed by tall slender
octagonal fluted columns with moulded capitals and pointed arches. Chancel has
5 panelled slightly canted roof. West gallery has large Royal Coat of Arms set
within arch-headed recess. 2 other Royal Coats the latest dated 1820 of George
III. Several wall monuments survive from the earlier church include one in
stone dated 1727 to the Sharpes of Hipperholme and one in marble to the Simpsons
of Hipperholme dated 1765 with long epitaph. Font of similar type to St.
Anne's, Southowram (q.v.) 3


Listing NGR: SE1247826926

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.