This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.7387 / 53°44'19"N
Longitude: -1.8057 / 1°48'20"W
OS Eastings: 412912
OS Northings: 426942
OS Grid: SE129269
Mapcode National: GBR HTT6.VJ
Mapcode Global: WHC9N.79D5
Entry Name: Coley Hall
Listing Date: 3 January 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1183818
English Heritage Legacy ID: 338811
Location: Calderdale, HX3
Electoral Ward/Division: Hipperholme and Lightcliffe
Built-Up Area: Bradford
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Coley St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
BRIGHOUSE COLEY HALL LANE
SE 12 NW (north side)
1/63 Coley Hall
(formerly listed under Coley)
G. V. II*
House late C17 refronted 2nd quarter C18. Hammer-dressed stone, stone slate
roof. 2 storeys. 9-bay symmetrical facade with rolled plinth, band and coved
cornice with ashlar blocking course, hipped roof. Chamfered rusticated quoins
to ground floor surmounted by panelled pilaster strips. The windows all sashed
with glazing bars have architraves with small keystones and moulded lintels, to
ground floor above aprons of dressed stone. Doorway has shouldered architrave
and simple pediment formed by the band raking over it. Modern glazed door.
Right hand return wall has string and 3 bays of cross windows with double
chamfered surrounds, possibly contemporary with facades. All other bays beyond
this are altered (mid C20) forming at present 2-storey porch with re-used
doorway from the demolished Langley House, Hipperholme dated 1692, with double
chamfered mullioned window over. The rear now appears to be single aisled but
was double gabled and contains mullioned and transomed windows of 14 lights.
Rear to courtyard is tall stair window of 12 lights and 3 transoms, and fixed
light windows of C18 proportions in double chamfered surrounds to rear of front
range. 3 stacks, one to each range. Now attached is 2-storey building,
possibly former kitchen which has double chamfered mullioned window of 6
lights to each bay with hoodmould with finely modelled stop. Small round headed
light to centre of each floor. Rear has straight joint to middle and C18 fabric
with 2 bays of 5-light flat faced mullioned windows. Coped gable to one end
with stack, and stack to other gable is extruded with offsets.
Interior: Has fine joinery to central room of south facade, with opposed
pedimented doorcases and another with round head and moulded imposts: this leads
to staircase of fine workmanship columnar newels, ramped handrail and tread ends
treated as imposts. D. Nortcliffe, Buildings of Brighouse (Brighouse 1978)
p.6. N. Pevsner, Yorkshire West Riding (London 1967) p.165. G. Hepworth,
Brighouse, its scenery and antiquities, (Halifax 1885)' p.14.
Listing NGR: SE1291226942
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings