This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.7017 / 53°42'6"N
Longitude: -1.7794 / 1°46'45"W
OS Eastings: 414658
OS Northings: 422831
OS Grid: SE146228
Mapcode National: GBR JT0M.KS
Mapcode Global: WHC9V.M7V1
Entry Name: Civic Hall
Listing Date: 2 December 1983
Last Amended: 17 March 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1133850
English Heritage Legacy ID: 338766
Location: Calderdale, HD6
Electoral Ward/Division: Brighouse
Built-Up Area: Brighouse
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Brighouse Saint Martin
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
SE 1422 NE BRIGHOUSE
-/6/4 BETHEL STREET
Nos. 2, 4 & 6 Civic Hall
the 1st sentence of the description shall be amended to read:-
'Includes Nos. 1, 3, 5, 7, & 9 Bradford Road.'
SE 1422 NE
-/6/4 BRADFORD ROAD
Nos. 1, 3, 5, 7, & 9
See under: Nos.2, 4 & 6 Civic Hall BETHEL STREET.
BRIGHOUSE BETHEL STREET
SE 1422 NE (north side)
6/4 Nos. 2, 4 & 6 (Civic Hall)
Includes Nos. 3 and 5 Bradford Road. Originally the Town Hall, 1868 by
Mallinson and Barber (Halifax), used as a theatre from 1880, a magistrates court
from 1898 and a cinema from 1902 to 1959. Opened as a Civic Hall 1968. 1st
floor hall with ground floor shops. Set at a splayed angle to front 2 streets.
Hammer-dressed stone, with ashlar dressings, slate roof. Bethel Street facade
of 3 storeys and 5 symmetrical bays. Ground floor has rusticated bands and 3
segmental arched window openings with joggled voussoirs and vermiculated
keystone flanked by semi-circular arched doorways with moulded heads and
projecting keystone. Band. 1st floor has 4 sash windows (some of which retain
their original 12 panes) with architrave, elliptical arch with keystone, cornice
the outer bays are surmounted by pediments over which are circular blind
openings with 2-light mullioned windows between with plain surrounds. Band,
cornice and blocking course with hipped roof and central stack. Right hand
return wall fronting Bradford Road has 2 similar ground floor windows surviving
in a 7-bay facade. 2 storeys. 1st floor has sash windows the outer of which
retain their glazing of 12 panes set within a blind arcade with semi-circular
arches with hoodmould and keystone. Outer bays have shell motif within arch.
Between each bay are circles. D. Nortcliffe, Buildings of Brighouse,
(Brighouse 1978), p.37.
Listing NGR: SE1465822831
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings