History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Former Park Methodist Church and attached Sunday School

A Grade II Listed Building in Brighouse, Calderdale

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.7015 / 53°42'5"N

Longitude: -1.7798 / 1°46'47"W

OS Eastings: 414632

OS Northings: 422805

OS Grid: SE146228

Mapcode National: GBR JT0M.GV

Mapcode Global: WHC9V.M7N6

Plus Code: 9C5WP62C+H3

Entry Name: Former Park Methodist Church and attached Sunday School

Listing Date: 29 April 1982

Last Amended: 2 December 1983

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1133851

English Heritage Legacy ID: 338767

Location: Brighouse, Calderdale, HD6

County: Calderdale

Electoral Ward/Division: Brighouse

Built-Up Area: Brighouse

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Brighouse Saint Martin

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Brighouse

Description

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 7 April 2021 to update the name and address, and reformat the text to current standards

SE 1422 NE
6/5

BRIGHOUSE
BETHEL STREET (north side)
The Richard Oastler public house
Former Park Methodist Church and attached Sunday School
(Formerly listed as Park Methodist Church and attached Sunday School, previously listed as Park Methodist Church)

29.4.82
II
Former chapel and sunday school. 1876 by R. F. Rogerson. Dressed stone with good ashlar dressings, slate roof. Freely handled transitional style. Two storeys. Five bay hall range flanked by square towers with slated iron crested pavilion roofs. The east tower rises a full stage higher, its return splayed with side elevation following street alignment. Strongly modelled false machicolated eaves cornice. To the base of each tower is a portal of two orders with stiff leaf impost, string carried in over doorhead, panelled tympanum, deeply roll-moulded each on one quarter jamb shafts but the whole is contained by crocket-finialed gable. The first floor of towers has large Romanesque window with arched lights and circular light to head. The top stage of east tower has an ogee capped oculus. The stiff leaf impost string and partly corbelled sill course are carried over from towers on the first floor of the five bay range meeting an arcade of windows recessed in two orders with a quarter jamb shafts. Ground floor segmented arched windows. Right hand return wall two storeys of nine uneven sized bays. Three-light mullioned windows to first bay, two-light to second, all others single light. Ground floor has segmental arched lintels, first floor has semi-circular arched heads and longer windows, moulded gutter brackets and square stack to right hand end.


Listing NGR: SE1463222805

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.