History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Anne in the Grove

A Grade II Listed Building in Halifax, Calderdale

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.7093 / 53°42'33"N

Longitude: -1.8191 / 1°49'8"W

OS Eastings: 412038

OS Northings: 423666

OS Grid: SE120236

Mapcode National: GBR HTQK.Z1

Mapcode Global: WHC9V.1116

Entry Name: Church of St Anne in the Grove

Listing Date: 3 January 1967

Last Amended: 2 December 1983

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1133866

English Heritage Legacy ID: 338803

Location: Calderdale, HX3

County: Calderdale

Electoral Ward/Division: Town

Built-Up Area: Halifax

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Southowram St Anne-in-the-Grove

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Halifax

Listing Text

BRIGHOUSE CHURCH LANE, SOUTHOWRAM
SE 12 SW (north side)

3/54 Church of St. Anne in
the Grove
(formerly listed as
3.1.67 Church of St Anne under
Southowram)

II

Church. 1815 by Thomas Taylor of Leeds with later chancel. West tower of 3
stages with diagonal buttresses has arched headed belfry openings with 'Y'
tracery, embattled with crocket pinnacles. 5-bay nave with arched headed
windows is embattled with buttresses to each bay. l-bay chancel is buttressed
and is embattled. Nave windows to south side of outer bays have 'Y' tracery to
inner Geometric of 2 lights, to north side all have 'Y' tracery.

Wide bare interior. Arch braced roof rising from corbels sealed along line of
rafters and collar. West gallery. Baptistry to North is semi-octagonal with
ribbed coved roof and stained glass windows. Chancel pointed arch flanked by
arched openings that to left to vestry that to right forming small chapel with
just room for altar. Chancel has flat panelled roof and organ gallery.

Furnishings; carved stone reredos, stone pulpit with marble columns and brass
handrail and balustrading. Carved font with cover to baptistry, one other under
west tower (probably original). Stained glass windows to south side, 3 by Ward
and Hughes 1909 - 1922. Brass openwork lectern and choir stalls.


Listing NGR: SE1203823666

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.