History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Bradley Hall Golf Club House

A Grade II Listed Building in Greetland and Stainland, Calderdale

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.6801 / 53°40'48"N

Longitude: -1.8746 / 1°52'28"W

OS Eastings: 408382

OS Northings: 420411

OS Grid: SE083204

Mapcode National: GBR HTBW.YJ

Mapcode Global: WHC9T.5RMM

Entry Name: Bradley Hall Golf Club House

Listing Date: 6 June 1983

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1133962

English Heritage Legacy ID: 338543

Location: Calderdale, HX4

County: Calderdale

Electoral Ward/Division: Greetland and Stainland

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Stainland

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Greetland

Listing Text

ELLAND STAINLAND ROAD
SE 084204 (west side)

1/119 Bradley Hall Golfclub House

II

Manor house, now golf club. 1598 probably by the Akroyds as an addition to a house
of 1577 for Sir John Savile. Dressed stone, with stone slate roof. The existing two
storey range, of considerable length, has been obscured by later accretions. Only the
gables return anything of the original building. The north gable has spectacular
5 sided bay window of 2 storeys, semi-octagonal in plan with cross windows on the front
and canted sides and one light on the square return sides. Each light is slightly
rebated and has a hollow chamfer. Hoodmould over ground floor bay window continues
over 10-light mullioned and transomed window (6 lights blocked) which has chamfered
surround and hollow chamfer to each light. Over is a 5-light similar window with
hoodmould South gable has tall blocked windows with hoodmould over to both floors, and
small doorway also blocked and obscured by later stack. Rear wall appears to be blind
but has at one time had a cart entry. Two small stacks to ridge.

A much disfigured but important survival of work by the Savile masons. Fragments of
a rose window and a datestone of 1598 also survive loose in grounds. L. Amber; 'The
Old Halls and Manor Houses of Yorkshire', (London 1913) p.61; N. Pevsner, 'Yorkshire
West Riding', (London 1979) p.498; 'Autobiography of Sir John Savile', Yorkshire
Archaeological Journal, 15, (1897) p.420. J. Lister, H.A.S. (1919), pl. T. W. Hanson
H.A.S. (1928), p.253. A. Comfort, 'Ancient Halls in and about Halifax'; (Halifax 1913),


Listing NGR: SE0838220411

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.