History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Sunny Bank

A Grade II* Listed Building in Elland, Calderdale

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.6872 / 53°41'14"N

Longitude: -1.8683 / 1°52'5"W

OS Eastings: 408793

OS Northings: 421204

OS Grid: SE087212

Mapcode National: GBR HTDS.9Z

Mapcode Global: WHC9T.8LK5

Entry Name: Sunny Bank

Listing Date: 24 January 1968

Last Amended: 29 November 1983

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1133970

English Heritage Legacy ID: 338560

Location: Calderdale, HX4

County: Calderdale

Electoral Ward/Division: Greetland and Stainland

Built-Up Area: Elland

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Greetland and West Vale St Thomas

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Greetland

Listing Text

In the entry for

1/136 SUNNY BANK ROAD
(south side)

Nos 25 to 39 (odd)

The item shall be amended to read:

Nos 25 to 29 (odd)

------------------------------------

ELLAND SUNNYBANK ROAD
SE 087212 (south side)

1/136 Nos 25 to 39 (odd)
(Sunnybank)
(Formerly listed as
Sunny Bank)
24.1.68
II*

House in more than one occupation, mainly mid C16. Timber framed exterior with
hammer-dressed stone and stone slate roof. The house is essentially a long, gabled
2-storey block divided into two parts by a cross-passage. The north elevation has
3 main gables all with king-post trusses with 'V'-struts. The two gables to the
right are probably to the main hall with parlour wing, separated from the service end
by a cross-passage which has a small gabled entrance with a lower ridge level and
with a large stack backing on to it from the hall range. This northern entrance has
ornate doorway with ogee lintel and herringbone studding to uprights. The south front
shows marked differences in levels and materials. The service end is of 2 bays and
2-storey with stone wall with exposed king-post truss and has flat faced C19
mullioned windows inserted into earlier C17 wall of 5 lights with 4-light window over
to left bay and 3-light windows to both floors to right bay which has quoins and a
continuous outshut with cat-slide roof to north side. The end of the cross-passage
has timber framing of close-studding to first floor with angle brace to wall plate
and down post. The left hand two ranges to hall and parlour are gabled as at north
side with exposed trusses with many 'V'-struts and have a higher roof line than cross-
passage/service end, the posts are visible built into stonework with girding beam to
first floor. This is an important surviving partly timber framed building of quite
complex development as evidenced by 3 different rooflines. In fact the house was not
built all at once; this is clear from the timber posts in the south wall and the
cross-passage which are not placed where they should be to support the existing
structure. The oldest part of the structure can be seen at the south-end of the
cross-passage. A timber post resting on a stylobat carries a bressumer and wall plate,
and it is clear from the pegholes that these members were continued on both sides of
the post, although they are now only visible on the west side. The next post to the
east is 13' away. Pegholes on the bressumer indicate that there were once studs below
as well as above it Presumably these were removed when the house was extended,
because it was then that the cross-passage was made.

The deeds show that in 1472 the house came into the ownership of Thomas Wilkinson
and in 1544 it passed to Henry Savile of Bradley Hall (q.v.). It would appear that
the Saviles rebuilt the house before 1517, because they were rebuilding Bradley Hall
in stone by that date. It seems most probable that the greater part of Sunnybank dates
from c.1550. A more thorough survey of the older part might indicate its date; some-
thing prior to 1400 is not improbable. J. Lister, H.A.S.(1902), J. Leyland, 'Views
of Ancient Buildings of Halifax' (1819), T. F. Ford, Thoresby Soc. Miscellanea,
Vol. 28 (1928) p.16. J. Bolton, 'Early Timbered Buildings of the Huddersfield
District' (1955). L. Ambler, 'The Old Halls and Manor Houses of Yorkshire' (London
1913) p.4. N. Pevsner, 'Yorkshire West Riding' (1979) p.626. A. Pacey 'Elland
Buildings' (1964 unpublished - V.A.G. Library, or Elland Public Library , 2.01.


Listing NGR: SE0879321204

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.