History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Harden Hall

A Grade II* Listed Building in Harden, Bradford

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.8368 / 53°50'12"N

Longitude: -1.8698 / 1°52'11"W

OS Eastings: 408663

OS Northings: 437846

OS Grid: SE086378

Mapcode National: GBR HSC2.ZC

Mapcode Global: WHC91.7TVH

Entry Name: Harden Hall

Listing Date: 9 August 1966

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1134140

English Heritage Legacy ID: 338066

Location: Harden, Bradford, BD16

County: Bradford

Civil Parish: Harden

Built-Up Area: Harden

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Harden

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Bingley

Listing Text

SE03NE BINGLEY WILSDEN ROAD
SE086378 (west side, off)
Harden

5/203 Harden Hall
9.8.66

GV II*

Large house, now in 2 occupations. Early-mid C17 with additions dated
1691 and alteration to the main house early C18. Hammer-dressed stone,
stone slate roofs, 2 storeys. Hall-and-crosswing plan: of 3 cells with
addition to rear of 3rd cell under 2-span roof, added kitchen at right
angles to rear of 2nd cell. All are double-chamfered mullioned windows,
except to ground floor of 1st cell which is a gabled wing with 2 sash
windows with plain-stone surrounds; 5-light window above, coped gable
with lantern finial to apex. 2nd cell, hall, has 6-light window and
former 3-light fire-window altered to doorway with two 4-light windows
above. 3rd cell has former doorway, now 2-light window, to left of
4-light and 2-light window with same above. Coped gable to right with
lantern finial. Large central ridge stack. Rear has kitchen wing with
bullseye with weathered dateplaque above to 1st floor; coped gable with
stack. Rear of wing has 4-light window to each floor and tall corner
stack. Left-hand return wall (wing) has tall external stack with offsets
with to either side projecting rainwater spouts. Right-hand return wall
has dates tone inscribed

" 1691
EFIF "
Other mullioned windows, coped gables and 3 stacks to this range.

Interior: hall has large spine beams and joists with ogee stops and
bressumer with panelled board-and-muntin heck screen; Cl7 staircase
with finely-turned oak balusters and newels with oak panelling below.
Wing: front room has large raised-and-fielded panelling with dado rail
and casement-moulded plaster cornice and spine-bean; rear room has corner
fireplace and large spine-beam supported on wooden corbel to oak-post,
perhaps the only indicator of an earlier timber-framed house; upper
chamber has king-post truss with 12 ¨V" struts, braced to ridge. 3rd
cell has large arched fireplace.

A fine house preserving much of its original fenestration and several
interior fittings, which with its garden wall, gate-piers and 2 large
barns (q q.v.) perhaps preserves an unaltered C17 appearance better
than any other in the parish.


Listing NGR: SE0866337846

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.