This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.6716 / 53°40'17"N
Longitude: -1.8007 / 1°48'2"W
OS Eastings: 413265
OS Northings: 419475
OS Grid: SE132194
Mapcode National: GBR HTVZ.YK
Mapcode Global: WHC9V.9ZS5
Entry Name: Fixby Hall
Listing Date: 14 May 1958
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1134236
English Heritage Legacy ID: 339877
Location: Kirklees, HD2
Electoral Ward/Division: Ashbrow
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: St Francis Fixby and St Hilda Cowcliffe, Huddersfield
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
SE 1319 16/18 14.5.58.
Mid or late C18, but probably incorporating remains of the earlier house of
the Thornhill family, which stood on this site. Richard Oastler (1789-1861),
the factory reformer, lived here while steward of the Thornhill estates (182O-38).
Hammer-dressed stone. Hipped stone slate roof. L-shaped plan, with early
or mid C19 infill to rear. 2 storeys. Modillioned eaves cornice with parapet,
balustrades with vase-shaped balusters above each window range. All windows
are sashes with glazing bars in plain raised surrounds.
East front has 2 slightly projecting wings, each ending in canted bays, and
4 window ranges in between. 4 contemporary rainwaterheads, 2 with original
downpipes. North front has 5 window ranges. South front has 8, plus door
in moulded surround, with pulvinated frieze and triangular pediment on moulded
consoles. Rear has 2 canted bay windows with sashes and glazing bars.
Interior: following features survive, all late C18 unless otherwise described.
Throughout the windows have shutters with fielded panelling, except those in
Bar and Dining Room which have elaborately moulded fielded panelling. Most
doors and door reveals have fielded panelling.
In addition, the Hall has good late C18 marble chimneypiece, fireplace with
pretty Arts-and-Crafts tiles and elaborate late C19 neo-Renaissance brass hood
with gryphons in relief. The Bar has a semi-circular west end: 2 doors (fielded
panelling outside, moulded inside) with moulded wooden surrounds, anthemion
frieze and dentilled cornice; fielded panelling to dado level, moulded dado,
moulded panels above, moulded cornice to ceiling: chimney-piece with fret patterned
surround and dentilled cornice. The Dining Room has ceiling with geometrical
pattern of broad flat ribs, roundel in centre, and moulded cornice: 2 mahogany
doors at north end (fielded panels outside, moulded inside) in elaborately
moulded surrounds with moulded cyma reversa frieze and moulded cornice. The
Committee Room has mid C19 marble arched fireplace. The Room above the Bar
has chimneypiece with moulded surround, festoons of husks and dentilled cornice:
coved moulding to ceiling. The Billiard Room has chimneypiece with fluted
Ionic columns, elaborately carved frieze and dentilled cornice. The Ladies'
Locker Room has chimneypiece with moulded saves surround, scrolled sides, fluted
frieze, moulded cornice which breaks forward over die with husks, swag and
patera. Rear Locker Room has chimneypiece, now hidden by lockers. The Staircase
is of imperial type, supported on 2 Tuscan columns, and 2 attached Tuscan 3/4
columns: elaborate cast iron balustrade and mahogany handrail: ceiling with
dentilled cornice: French casements on semi-landing with pretty late C19 painted
glass fanlight (Lakeland scene and festoons of flowers and grapes).
Listing NGR: SE1326519475
Other nearby listed buildings