This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.7041 / 53°42'14"N
Longitude: -1.9481 / 1°56'53"W
OS Eastings: 403522
OS Northings: 423080
OS Grid: SE035230
Mapcode National: GBR GTVL.1X
Mapcode Global: WHB8N.15L5
Entry Name: Ball Green and Ball Green Cottage
Listing Date: 15 November 1966
Last Amended: 19 July 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1134427
English Heritage Legacy ID: 339432
Location: Calderdale, HX6
Electoral Ward/Division: Ryburn
Parish: Non Civil Parish
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Sowerby St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
SE 0223 & SE 0323
WELL HEAD LANE
Ball Green and Ball Green Cottage
(Formerly listed as Ball Green House)
House, now house and cottage and one bay an outbuilding, c1600, rear dated 1634,
but rebuilt C19. Coursed squared millstone grit, stone slate roof. 2 storeys,
3 bays, the front half of left bay demolished. Main front (Ball Green Cottage):
truncated left bay has rebuilt gable wall set back. Central and right bays: gabled.
Chamfered plinth, quoins on right. Chamfered quoined doorway on left of central
bay with C20 door and pent porch. Board door in plain stone surround to left of
right bay. Double-chamfered mullion windows, of 5-lights to central bay with above,
a 2-light and a 5-light window both with round-headed lights and sunk spandrels
and a "W" in head of central light of the latter. Right bay has a 4-light window
with 3-light window above. Gables are coped and have shaped kneelers. 2 stacks
with tabling to left pitch of central bay. 2 external stacks to right end, front
one truncated. Rear: 3 gabled bays, outer bays projecting. Left bay has chamfered
plinth, 5-light window with hoodmould and 4-light window above, kneelers and coping.
Central bay has C19 openings with raised plain stone surrounds. Doorway on right
with overlight and tall keystone incised with 'H' and crosses. Above keystone
are remains of earlier datestone, the cornice of which has dated boss. 2 windows
to left of door and 3 above. Right bay has quoins, tie-stone surround doorway
on left, and small rectangular opening with ledge in gable. In left return of
this bay are traces of a C17 1st-floor window. Right return: right-hand stack
has 2 gutter spouts at offset. To right is a blocked, lst-floor, chamfered light.
Interior: left (east) bay, now outbuilding, has flat-arched fireplace with moulded
surround and deep lintel. Heavy-scantling beams. Cyma-moulded spine-beams; stop-
chamfered joists. One king-post truss with cusped brace to ridge-plate and struts,
wattle and daub in gable, indicating division wall in this bay. Wall plates,
purlins, rafters. Kendall suggests that the 'W' on the front window refers to
a member of the Wilde family which occupied the building 1703-63, and that the
symbols over the rear door are possibly a merchant's mark (Kendall pp 202, 230-38).
H P Kendall, "Ball Green". Halifax Antiquarian Society, Vol 7 (1910), pp 201-239.
Listing NGR: SE0352223080
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings