This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.7324 / 53°43'56"N
Longitude: -1.9388 / 1°56'19"W
OS Eastings: 404134
OS Northings: 426223
OS Grid: SE041262
Mapcode National: GBR GTX8.1S
Mapcode Global: WHB8G.6G01
Entry Name: Church of St Mary the Blessed Virgin
Listing Date: 1 October 1985
Last Amended: 19 July 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1134509
English Heritage Legacy ID: 339233
Location: Calderdale, HX2
Electoral Ward/Division: Luddendenfoot
Built-Up Area: Luddenden Foot
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Luddenden with Luddendenfoot
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
SOWERBY BRIDGE HIGH STREET
(north side, off),
1.10.85 Church of St Mary the
Church. 1816-17 by Thomas Taylor of Leeds, alterations and extensions 1866 and 1910.
Coursed squared stone, Welsh slate roof. Gothic style. West tower with south porch
(now vestry) and north addition, nave, chancel. Tower: 2 stages. Offset clasping
buttresses rise into crocketed finials. Embattled pent porch on south with blocked
doorway. West doorway with 2-light window above, both with hoodmoulds. All windows
with Y-tracery. 2-light belfry openings, southern one with later clock face.
Embattled parapet. Nave: 4 bays defined by offset pilaster buttresses. Plinth.
3-light intersecting tracery window on left, others of 2 cusped lights with trefoils
over, all with hoodmoulds. Cornice with gutter spouts; embattled gables. North
windows of 3 lights with intersecting tracery. Tracery all of 1866. Chancel: 1866,
extended 1910. 3 bays, lower and narrower than nave. Plinth, offset buttresses.
2-light Perpendicular-style windows; arched opening under right hand window. Raised
verge with gable cross. 5-light east window with rectilinear tracery. Interior: nave
has attached octagonal columns rising to window-head height Panelled roofs. In
tower double stair with ramped handrail on straight and wavy iron balusters leads up
to gallery (restored 1985/86). At back of church font dated 1662 has fluted base with
rolled top supporting octagonal basin with carved panels to sides, one dated. Near to
it is earlier tub font. Near the Victorian pulpit is an early C19 font with octagonal
base, concave shaft and small cyma-moulded bowl. Some C18 monuments including one in
south porch to James Farrer of Ewood Hall, d.1718, having swags and cherubs beneath a
cartouche surmounted by arms with festoons. In south-east wall of nave brass memorial
plate to William Grimshaw, d.1763, incumbent of Haworth who introduced Methodism to
that area. Benefaction boards in tower. This church is the third to be built on the
site. A cross wall being inserted in nave and other alterations being undertaken at
the time of resurvey.
J A Heginbottom, The Parish Church of St Mary the Blessed Virgin, Luddenden with
Luddenden Foot, A Brief History and Guide (1984).
Listing NGR: SE0413426223
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings