History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Saviour

A Grade II Listed Building in Dewsbury, Kirklees

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.6787 / 53°40'43"N

Longitude: -1.6638 / 1°39'49"W

OS Eastings: 422303

OS Northings: 420298

OS Grid: SE223202

Mapcode National: GBR JTTX.L1

Mapcode Global: WHC9X.DSYQ

Entry Name: Church of St Saviour

Listing Date: 30 June 1949

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1134696

English Heritage Legacy ID: 340741

Location: Kirklees, WF13

County: Kirklees

Electoral Ward/Division: Dewsbury West

Built-Up Area: Dewsbury

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Ravensthorpe St Saviour

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Mirfield

Listing Text

DEWSBURY CB HUDDERSFIELD ROAD
SE 22 SW (Ravensthorpe)

2/56
Church of St. Saviour
30/6/49
II


Large Gothic Revival church. 1901 by C. Hodgson Fowler. Hammer
dressed stone with ashlar dressings. Steeply pitched and hipped
roofs, slated to west end, tiled to east. 5-bay nave with pitched
roofed south aisle of similar proportions. North porch. Tall
chancel with large north and south transept. Tall 5-light east
window with reticulated tracery. South transept window - a large
wheel. North transept window - 2-tier with reticulated tracery.
Aisle, side - chapel and nave windows - 2-light with curvilinear
tracery. North porch with adjoining short square tower with
octagonal open bell-cote with slated spine. Archivolted slender,
cusped, bell-cote openings. West window 3-light with reticulated
tracery.

Interior: 5-bay central arcade on octagonal piers. Large transept
arches on clustered responds. North side chapel of 2 bays arcaded,
in each direction, on clustered and filleted responds and piers.
Organ chamber on south side rood loft. Wooden vaulted roofs to east
end. Arched braced collar roof to nave and aisle. Commemorative
glass to east window 1922 and to east window of north chapel 1924.


Listing NGR: SE2230320298

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.