History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

St Peter's Parish Centre Including the Cottage

A Grade II Listed Building in Dewsbury, Kirklees

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.6874 / 53°41'14"N

Longitude: -1.6128 / 1°36'46"W

OS Eastings: 425669

OS Northings: 421289

OS Grid: SE256212

Mapcode National: GBR KT5S.MW

Mapcode Global: WHC9Y.6L80

Entry Name: St Peter's Parish Centre Including the Cottage

Listing Date: 3 July 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1134708

English Heritage Legacy ID: 340766

Location: Kirklees, WF12

County: Kirklees

Electoral Ward/Division: Dewsbury East

Built-Up Area: Dewsbury

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Dewsbury Team Parish

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Batley

Listing Text

DEWSBURY CB NEW STREET
SE 22 SE (Earlsheaton)

3/79
St. Peter's Parish
Centre, including
The Cottage

II


Former Church of England School, recently converted to Parish Centre
incorporating Church of St. Peter. Dated 1845. Hammer dressed stone.
Stone slate roof, tiled to left, with gable copings on moulded kneelers,
and with spear finials at apexes. Two-storey cottage, the rest single
storey. The cottage is of 3 bays of 2-light windows with central door
with Tudor arched head, all with hood moulds. Later single storey
addition, in keeping, to left. The cottage projects in front of the
main building which consists of a long range terminating in a projecting
wing to the right. Main windows are mullioned and transomed and square
headed, mainly of 6-lights, some of 8-lights. 3 lancets on right gable.
10 mullioned and transomed windows all with hood moulds along near
elevation with two near central doorways with Tudor heads and 2-light
fanlights. A plaque at front reads CHURCH OF ENGLAND SCHOOLS ERECTED
AD 1845.

The recent church contains pews from the old Church of St. Peter by
Thomas Taylor. Most ceilings have been lowered but broad queen-post
trusses can be seen. 3-tier wooden and glass panelled partitioning
between classrooms still present.


Listing NGR: SE2566921289

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.