This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.688 / 53°41'16"N
Longitude: -1.6102 / 1°36'36"W
OS Eastings: 425841
OS Northings: 421348
OS Grid: SE258213
Mapcode National: GBR KT6S.6P
Mapcode Global: WHC9Y.7KHL
Entry Name: Providence Mill
Listing Date: 20 October 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1385758
English Heritage Legacy ID: 471170
Location: Kirklees, WF12
Electoral Ward/Division: Dewsbury East
Built-Up Area: Dewsbury
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Dewsbury Team Parish
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
SE 22 SE DEWSBURY SYKE LANE
(North West, off), Earlsheaton
Textile mill complex. 1820, with alterations and additions 1883-95, alterations c1990. Built originally for WM Greenwood & Son Ltd, blanket and rug manufacturers. This complex consists of an entrance range, spinning mill with attached engine house, boiler house and chimney, plus single storey weaving sheds to north. Coursed rubble stone and ashlar with ashlar dressings and slate and stone slate roofs. Sykes Road entrance has 3 storey early C19 mill building probably used originally for hand spinning or weaving. 9 windows mostly replaced late C20 and a set of taking-in doors to each floor 2 windows from the right. Behind, restored entrance block has doorway and 2 windows. Set back to left early C19 entrance has central round headed archway flanked by single windows and doors, above a circular window flanked by single windows and in the central curved gable a small semi-circular window. Behind this range the engine house and boiler house plus the large round circular brick chimney stack. The engine house, which contains the original engine installed in 1883, is topped by an iron water tank. Mill building to south 15 windows 2 and 3 storey added 1883, to rear weaving sheds with north light saw-tooth roofs and surrounding blind stone wall. ENGINE. A single cylinder slide valve steam engine was installed in 1883, this was converted to a tandem compound cylinder in 1895. The engine has a 18" diameter high pressure cylinder and 24" diameter low pessure cylinder, 3' 6" stroke and 88 revs per second working speed developing 300hp directly linked to the mill line shafting which was disconnected c1965. The engine was restored by Chris Evans and Paul Akrigg 1985-87 and the restoration was awarded first prize in the National Steam Heritage Awards 1990.
Listing NGR: SE2584121348
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings