This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.9202 / 53°55'12"N
Longitude: -1.3585 / 1°21'30"W
OS Eastings: 442225
OS Northings: 447310
OS Grid: SE422473
Mapcode National: GBR LRY3.PG
Mapcode Global: WHDB1.3QBK
Entry Name: Flint Mill and Attached Mill-Race Structures
Listing Date: 8 February 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1135034
English Heritage Legacy ID: 342052
Location: Thorp Arch, Leeds, LS23
Civil Parish: Thorp Arch
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Thorp-Arch All Saints
Church of England Diocese: York
SE44NW THORP ARCH WALTON ROAD
LS23 (south side, off)
2/129 Flint Mill and attached
Water mill with attached mill-race structures, now a house; shown as Flint
Mill Farm on OS map. 1722 (Falconer p.247); altered C20. Coursed, squared
magnesian limestone, stone slate roof. 2 storeys and basement, 5 x 3 bays;
external water wheel and attached mill-race structures facing River Wharfe to
rear left. Entrance front: quoined, segmentally-arched doorway to right of
centre flanked by oculi; 4 flat-arched windows to each floor, all with C20
casements; small eaves stack on left. Rear (facing river): large undershot
waterwheel to left has 8 wooden spokes to each cast-iron rim, iron blades;
various small casements to basement; 3 square-headed and 2 round-headed
windows to ground floor have C20 casements; 4 C20 casements under flat arches
to 1st floor; eaves stack on right. Left return: 3 round-arched openings to
basement and ground floors, matching lst-floor window the upper openings have
casements with glazing bars.
Interior large cast-iron flywheel and crown wheel within the basement;
massive vertical wooden shaft rises to ground floor where there is another
crown wheel and associated shafting.
External mill-race structures: built of gritstone and comprising a dam wall
pierced by inlet for the mill race and with adjacent race containing stepped
troughs to form a fish ladder; a third bypass channel has concrete-filled
inlet flanked by one triangular and one rounded cutwater.
Built as a corn mill until converted in 1774 by Leeds Potteries to grind
flints using German stones (Falconer op.cit); reverted to use as a corn mill
in 1878 until final closure c1950.
K. Falconer,Guide to England's Industrial Heritage, 1980
Listing NGR: SE4222547310
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings