This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.7839 / 53°47'1"N
Longitude: -1.6644 / 1°39'51"W
OS Eastings: 422210
OS Northings: 431999
OS Grid: SE222319
Mapcode National: GBR JSTP.GB
Mapcode Global: WHC9J.D5N2
Entry Name: Fulneck Moravian Chapel and Attached Ranges to Either Side Including the Boys' School and Girls' School
Listing Date: 17 May 1972
Last Amended: 17 June 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1135096
English Heritage Legacy ID: 341893
Location: Leeds, LS28
Electoral Ward/Division: Pudsey
Built-Up Area: Pudsey
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Pudsey St Lawrence and St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
PUDSEY (south side)
4/129 Fulneck Moravian
17.5.72 Chapel and attached
ranges to either
side including the
Boys' School and
(formerly listed as
Main range of buildings
at the Moravian
Chapel, Boys' School
and Girls' School)
Chapel and attached Brethrens' and Sisters' Houses, now boys' and girls'
schools. Chapel 1746-48, Brethrens' and Sisters' Houses 1749-52 originally
forming a balanced composition of 3 separate buildings thought to be by
Edward Graves (Newark), rear wings added 1758 and 1763. Link block to girls'
school (on right) 1768-70 (cupola added to chapel 1770), link block to boys'
school (on left) 1784-85, with additions of 1818 and 1879. Forms a very long
range of buildings facing south onto terrace. Mainly 3 storeys with attics.
Ashlar, hammer-dressed stone, red-brown brick in Flemish bond, stone slate and
Welsh blue-slate roofs. Fine central chapel: 9 bays. Plinth, band, deeply-
moulded cornice, balustraded parapet; symmetrical facade, outer 2 bays flanked
by channelled quoin pilaster strips; ground-floor windows sashed with stressed
keystones, outer bays having windows with raised surrounds to 1st and 2nd floors.
Central doorway with raised quoined jambs has keystone; set above is aedicule
with connecting apron. 2 bays either side have tall arched windows with imposts
and triple keystones; 3 roof dormers; hipped roof with 2 large stacks. To either
side school additions of 2 builds each 6 + 4 bays with pilaster strips, raised
quoins and band above ground-floor windows; single light windows and 2-light
windows with raised plain surrounds. 6 ridge stacks. Brick Brethrens' and
Sisters' Houses have 7-bay symmetrical facades; ashlar band and cornices, parapets
with triangular pediments with Venetian windows set in tympana; pedimented
doorways with architraves and consoles. All bays have flat-arched sash windows,
smaller to 2nd floor and attic which pierces parapet. Coped gables with end stacks.
2 other ridge stacks. Later additions attached to either end: 6 bays of windows,
of less interest. To left end tall terminating C18 pavilion in partly-rendered
brick. That to right end replaced by 5-storey C20 dormitory in keeping. Rear of
chapel has three 1st-floor doorways approached from higher ground, E-shaped with
3-bay projections, pedimented gable to central wing surmounted by cupola with
clock and weathervane. End gable of Brethrens' and Sisters' houses have Venetian
windows set in central circular recesses.
Interior: Chapel: a long rectangular room with 3 doorways on the long side and
2 each on the short. Central doorway is semicircular arched with moulded impost
stressed keystone. Other doorways have earned architraves, pulvinated friezes and
modillion casement moulded cornices all with 6-panel doors. Set between centre
window is tall pedestal pulpit c.1750 panelled with dentil cornice and with open-
string staircase with paired turned balusters. Gallery c.1750 to 3 sides supported
by wooden Tuscan columns surmounted by fluted pilasters separating large raised-and-
fielded panels, dentil cornice. Binns organ housed in decorative fretted case
c.1748 for original organ by John Snetxler (Switzerland), centrally placed on
gallery. Rich modillion cornice to ceiling. Flat ceiling with plaster foliage-
decorated bosses. Re-pewed c.1889 by Edmund Hutton, gallery seats by Joseph
An impressive group of buildings. Dates taken from vestry archives.
H L Brook, I remember, I remember, (1982)
Listing NGR: SE2229532021
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.