This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.2415 / 52°14'29"N
Longitude: 0.7193 / 0°43'9"E
OS Eastings: 585762
OS Northings: 263847
OS Grid: TL857638
Mapcode National: GBR QF0.GP5
Mapcode Global: VHKD4.FX4L
Entry Name: 4a, St Marys Square
Listing Date: 12 July 1972
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1135168
English Heritage Legacy ID: 467356
Location: Bury St. Edmunds, St. Edmundsbury, Suffolk, IP33
District: St. Edmundsbury
Civil Parish: Bury St Edmunds
Built-Up Area: Bury St Edmunds
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Bury St Edmunds St Mary
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
BURY ST EDMUNDS
TL8563NE ST MARY'S SQUARE
639-1/11/624 (North side)
House and office. Built 1811/12 as a Methodist Chapel. Used
after 1878 as a stay manufactory and subsequently partly for
commercial and partly for domestic purposes. Red brick; fully
hipped pantiled roof with a wide paired modillion eaves
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys. 3 window range to the south front:
small-paned sashes with semicircular heads, radiating glazing
bars, plain reveals and gauged brick arches. A large central
C20 entrance has paired pilasters and a heavy cornice hood;
glazed double doors.
The east front has an upper row of 3 small-paned sashes in
plain reveals with flat gauged arches. A lean-to along the
rear, which contains the stair to the upper storey, was added
after 1878 and incorporates part of the east garden wall of
No.4 (qv). A plaque in the wall reads 'This wall belongs to
(name illegible) 1827'.
INTERIOR: 2 rows of reused C17 timber posts support the upper
floor, inserted after 1878 when the building ceased to be used
as a chapel. On the upper storey the north wall has 2 former
window openings with semicircular heads, one blocked, the
other made into a doorway.
(BOE: Pevsner N: Radcliffe E: Suffolk: London: 1974-: 150).
Listing NGR: TL8576263847
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings