History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

5 and 6, St Marys Square

A Grade II* Listed Building in Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2412 / 52°14'28"N

Longitude: 0.7198 / 0°43'11"E

OS Eastings: 585791

OS Northings: 263824

OS Grid: TL857638

Mapcode National: GBR QF0.GSJ

Mapcode Global: VHKD4.FXCR

Entry Name: 5 and 6, St Marys Square

Listing Date: 7 August 1952

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1135169

English Heritage Legacy ID: 467357

Location: Bury St. Edmunds, St. Edmundsbury, Suffolk, IP33

County: Suffolk

District: St. Edmundsbury

Civil Parish: Bury St Edmunds

Built-Up Area: Bury St Edmunds

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Bury St Edmunds St Mary

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Bury Saint Edmunds

Listing Text


BURY ST EDMUNDS

TL8563NE ST MARY'S SQUARE
639-1/11/625 (East side)
07/08/52 Nos.5 AND 6

GV II*

House. Early C16, altered and enlarged in the early C18.
Further enlarged and divided into 2 in the early C19, probably
by Francis Sandys who owned the building from 1803 to at least
1816. Timber-framed, faced in dark grey brick with red brick
sides and dressings and chamfered rusticated quoins. A C20
flat roof, above 2 gabled ranges set parallel to the street,
is concealed behind a plain rebuilt brick parapet.
EXTERIOR: 3 storeys and cellars. 9 window range, arranged 2:
5: 2 with the centre breaking forward slightly: 12-pane sashes
to the 1st storey and 6-pane to the 2nd storey; no glazing
bars on the ground storey: all in plain reveals with flat
gauged arches and surrounds in red brick. The middle window in
the central section had slight alterations to the surrounding
brickwork when an entrance door was removed. A moulded and
dentilled cornice below the parapet.
Matching slightly recessed 6-panel early C19 entrance doors
are set at each end of the projecting centre: moulded
architraves and rectangular fanlights with vertical
glazing-bars; modillion cornice hoods on console brackets. To
the north of No.5 and set back slightly is a large 2-storey
red brick extension with a range of 3 small-paned sash windows
along the east side: this was added by Francis Sandys,
architect of The Rotunda at Ickworth, who owned the houses in
the early C19.
INTERIOR: both houses have cellars, mainly brick-lined with
C19 wine bins, but No.6 has stone blocks along the main beam
and joists on edge. The centre of the building contains the
original early C16 timber-framed house now irregularly divided
between the 2 properties. In 3 bays, jettied along the front
and originally divided into 2 rooms with the partition wall
now removed. The 2 northern bays, now mainly within No.5, have
a fine timber ceiling on the ground storey with double
ogee-mouldings to the main beam and joists.
An early C17 brick fireplace with original mortar joints has a
rounded back and a cambered timber lintel. The adjoining bay
to the south, within No.6, has plain heavy joists. In the
early C18 a 2-bay extension was added at each side of this
centre and a 2nd storey was added: panelled ground storey
rooms, No.6 with a corner fireplace. In No.5: an early C16
rear wing has a main beam with double ogee-mould and intricate


leaf stops.
The early C19 stair has stick balusters, open strings and
ramped handrails. One front upper room has reused Jacobean
panelling and a bolection-moulded fireplace surround. Within
the roof the bressumer of the former jetty, with double
ogee-moulding and housings for studs, has been reused as a
purlin.
The early C19 wing contains a large panelled upper ballroom or
music room: the moulded plaster cornice has acanthus-leaf
decoration. In No.6: a fine early C18 dog-leg stair at the
rear rises through 2 storeys: barley-sugar twist balusters,
closed strings, moulded handrail and panelled dado. Panelled
internal shutters to all windows.
One small panelled upper room with raised fielded panels and
4-panel doors. The front 2nd-storey room has a dado of reused
Jacobean panelling.

Listing NGR: TL8579163824

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.