This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.2411 / 52°14'27"N
Longitude: 0.72 / 0°43'12"E
OS Eastings: 585811
OS Northings: 263805
OS Grid: TL858638
Mapcode National: GBR QF0.GVS
Mapcode Global: VHKD4.FXHW
Entry Name: The Vicarage
Listing Date: 7 August 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1135171
English Heritage Legacy ID: 467359
Location: Bury St. Edmunds, St. Edmundsbury, Suffolk, IP33
District: St. Edmundsbury
Civil Parish: Bury St Edmunds
Built-Up Area: Bury St Edmunds
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Bury St Edmunds St Mary
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
BURY ST EDMUNDS
TL8563NE ST MARY'S SQUARE
639-1/11/627 (East side)
House, later the vicarage to St Mary's Church, Crown Street
(qv). c1804, when the house figures in the Rate Books for the
first time. Probably by Francis Sandys, to whom the house
belonged until at least 1816. Red brick; shallow-pitched slate
roof with a parapet and moulded brick dentil cornice. 4
gable-end chimney-stacks with plain rectangular shafts.
EXTERIOR: 3 storeys and cellar; 3 window range: all tripartite
sashes with segmental heads in shallow reveals with flat
gauged arches, the central windows on the ground and 1st
storeys 12-pane and on the 2nd storey 6-pane. A central
doorway with a plain rectangular fanlight has a heavy
projecting Tuscan porch with plain columns.
INTERIOR: cellar not inspected. Plain interior. Ground storey
rooms have reeded plaster cornices; the principal rear room
has a fine canted bay window with 3 full-length sash windows
and internal shutters with moulded sunk panels. An original
fireplace surround has fluted columns and a series of small
ornate medallions across the architrave. The stair, with stick
balusters and a ramped and wreathed handrail, has a balustrade
along the landing.
In the front attic the room to the south of the entry has one
cross wall rendered and lined to simulate stone; slight
changes in the outer brickwork in the same area suggest the
possibility that this was initially an outside wall and that
the house was extended later.
Listing NGR: TL8581163805
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings