History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

44, High Street

A Grade II* Listed Building in Bagshot, Surrey

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.3617 / 51°21'42"N

Longitude: -0.692 / 0°41'31"W

OS Eastings: 491163

OS Northings: 163331

OS Grid: SU911633

Mapcode National: GBR D8H.KWB

Mapcode Global: VHDXJ.Y1JD

Entry Name: 44, High Street

Listing Date: 17 April 1998

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1135187

English Heritage Legacy ID: 467298

Location: Windlesham, Surrey Heath, Surrey, GU19

County: Surrey

District: Surrey Heath

Civil Parish: Windlesham

Built-Up Area: Bagshot

Traditional County: Surrey

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey

Church of England Parish: Bagshot

Church of England Diocese: Guildford

Find accommodation in
Bagshot

Listing Text

SU96SW
282/4/10008

WINDLESHAM,
HIGH STREET,
No. 44

II*

At one time part of an inn, later shop, now office. Remains of probable C14 aisled hall rebuilt in late C15 or early C16, refronted in C18 and refenestrated in early to mid C19. Three bay building with inserted hearth and crosswing in adjoining property to south west (not inspected) and possibly also extended to the north east of No 44 (adjoining building not inspected). Timber framed building refronted in brick, now painted, with plaintiled roof and end brick chimneystacks.

EXTERIOR: Two storeys; 4:2 windows. First floor has mid C19 12-pane sashes with horns. Ground floor has two mid Cl9 sashes with verticals only and horns. To east is later C19 splayed shopfront and glazed and panelled entrance door. Part plinth.

INTERIOR: The west end of the structure is formed by the bay frame to an aisled hall, probably of C14 date, intact apart from the bay post, removed when the building was refronted. Early C16 frame exposed on south and west walls of ground floor and east end. Most of the frame on the first floor is concealed behind plaster. Complete roof structure of side purlin and windbrace construction with old rafters and three queen posts. Ground floor has two bay room at the west end adjoining single bay room. The exposed framework to the partition between the two rooms has been inserted, though probably at an early date. The two bay room was heated by a chimney inserted beyond the early framed bay of which the ends to the bressumer to the opening remain and had two windows in the south wall which were blocked in the early C16 in order to execute wall paintings. Roll moulded cross beam and vertical post also with roll moulding. Wall paintings survive on three sides of the two bay room, the topmost scheme being one of black, white and reddish ochre highlight foliate decoration with fabulous beast grotesques and over the fire surround the Prince of Wales feathers with coronet above, the whole at the bottom of a large sun burst cartouche. This badge may refer to Edward Prince of Wales who held the title between 1537 and 1547 (later Edward VI although he was never formally invested). Below these wall paintings are early C16 antique-work in white on a black background possibly with pilasters and grotesques. Some painting seems to relate to the aisled wall framing since it continues above the existing ceiling and so predates the structure which replaced the open hall. Rear wall to two bay room has early blue paint at least C16. Single bay room has early C16 foliate scroll above doorway, part mid C19 reeded panels to east wall, C18 cornice and some roll moulding. First floor has early doorhead now situated in cupboard, C18 two panelled doors and room with C18 cornice.

HISTORY: The north west corner post of the painted room has been dendro-dated with a likely felling period of AD1485-1517. The sunburst surrounding the Prince of Wales badge was a Yorkist emblem and therefore unlikely to have been used after 1485 by the Lancastrian Tudors. It is possible therefore that it could refer to either Edward, son of Edward IV, created Prince of Wales in 1471, who acceded as Edward V in 1483 or Edward son of Richard III, created Prince of Wales in 1483 who died the following year. Subsequent Princes of Wales were Prince Arthur, eldest son of Henry VII, invested in 1489 (died 1502) and Henry, second son of Henry VII (later Henry VIII). Edward VI was never formally invested as Prince of Wales and then there is a gap until 1610 when Arthur, eldest son of James I, was invested as Prince of Wales. The layout of the building with a gallery to the rear and location on the main road to London suggest that the building was an inn and it formed part of the main ranges of a substantial inn called the Red Lion, and before that The Saracen's Head. The grand room on the ground floor and rooms on first floor with a greater height than usual indicate a building of high status. The ground floor room may have been used as a court room or the proximity of this building to Bagshot Park, an enclosed hunting estate belonging to the crown since 1330 suggests some of the court may have been housed here. Edward IV gave the manor of Bagshot to his daughter Katherine who married William Earl of Devon. Henry VIII removed it from her on her husband’s death in 1512. John Norden's map of 1607 shows a nearby house, Bagshot House Lodge, set within an enclosed park of 415 acres which was frequently used by Charles I and James I as a basis for hunting expeditions. This building no longer survives. The wall murals are unique amongst known surviving later C15 or early C16 examples for their extensiveness.

[See P J Gray "Provisional Report on 44 High Street " December 1997.
Dr Martin Bridge "Tree-Ring Analysis of Timbers from 44 High Street, Bagshot, Surrey" Centre for archaeology report 59/2001.]

Listing NGR: SU9116363331

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.