This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.3605 / 51°21'37"N
Longitude: -0.6989 / 0°41'55"W
OS Eastings: 490687
OS Northings: 163186
OS Grid: SU906631
Mapcode National: GBR D8H.Q3M
Mapcode Global: VHDXJ.T2WC
Entry Name: Men of Bagshot War Memorial
Listing Date: 9 March 2018
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1454315
Location: Windlesham, Surrey Heath, Surrey, GU19
District: Surrey Heath
Civil Parish: Windlesham
Built-Up Area: Bagshot
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
A First World War memorial, 1920 with later additions for the Second World War.
The memorial is located within the churchyard of the Church of St Anne (Grade II).
It consists of a floriated Latin cross constructed from Clipsham stone. The cross rises from a tapering square shaft on an octagonal plinth. The plinth stands on a tall four-stepped octagonal base. The names of the fallen are incised on the top three steps. The First World War dedication TO THE MEN OF BAGSHOT/ WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES/ FOR THEIR COUNTRY 1914 1919. The Second World War dedication is located on the second step and simply reads SECOND WORLD WAR/ 1939 – 1945.
The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. One such memorial was raised at Bagshot as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community, who lost their lives in the First World War.
The memorial was erected in 1920 by Mr Bannister of Ascot and was designed by F E Howard of Oxford. F E Howard (1888–1934) was also responsible for other war memorials including those at the Church of Holy Trinity, Balsham, Cambridgeshire (listed Grade II) and Steeple Ashton, Oxfordshire (listed Grade II). The architect involved was Messrs Thorp and Claypole of Camberley.
The memorial commemorates 51 local servicemen who died during the First World War. Following the Second World War, a dedication was added to commemorate the 11 fallen of that conflict. One additional name was added to the memorial at a later date.
The memorial was originally located at the junction of London Road and Church Road. It was moved to its present location in 1948. In 2014 the memorial was conserved with the help of grant aid from War Memorials Trust.
The Men of Bagshot War Memorial, Bagshot, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this local community, and the sacrifice it has made in the conflicts of the C20.
* in its simple but handsome form.
* with the Church of St Anne (Grade II).
Other nearby listed buildings