History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Aidan

A Grade II Listed Building in Skelmanthorpe, Kirklees

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.59 / 53°35'24"N

Longitude: -1.655 / 1°39'17"W

OS Eastings: 422936

OS Northings: 410439

OS Grid: SE229104

Mapcode National: GBR JVWX.HS

Mapcode Global: WHCBH.K144

Entry Name: Church of St Aidan

Listing Date: 15 August 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1135306

English Heritage Legacy ID: 341325

Location: Denby Dale, Kirklees, HD8

County: Kirklees

Civil Parish: Denby Dale

Built-Up Area: Skelmanthorpe

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Skelmanthorpe St Aidan

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Skelmanthorpe

Listing Text

SE 21 SW RADCLIFFE STREET
Skelmanthorpe
1/53
Church of St. Aidan

II

Church. 1894-5 by G. F. Bodley and T. Garner, in Late Gothic style.
Hammer dressed stone with ashlar dressings. Brick south wall. Pitched
slate roof with small gabled bell-cote. 5-bay nave with 4-bay pitched-
roofed north aisle of similar proportions. 3-bay chancel, with vestry
on south side. Gabled north porch on western bay of nave. One 3-light
and two 2-light traceried chancel windows. Paired lancets to aisle, with
trefoil in head. Two 3-light traceried west windows, to nave. 3-light
traceried east window. Wheel window to south side of chancel and to
porch.

Interior: 4-bay arcade, between nave and aisle, on octagonal piers.
Similar 5-bay arcade along south wall of nave. Good, carved oak
commemorative reredos of c.1917 at east end of aisle. Commemorative
stained glass east window (1891). Square, late Anglo-Saxon or early
Norman font (Pevsner) on C19 or C20 pedestal. (Font said to have come
from High Hoyland.) 3 interlaced arches on 2 sides. 2 panels on a 3rd
side, and on the 4th side 4 panels with scrolls and foliage, two of which
have figure heads at the top. Lead lined. Vaulted wood ceiling to
aisle and chancel. Arched braced collar roof to nave. Wooden block
floor to seating area. Small, simple chairs for pews.

N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England, 1967.


Listing NGR: SE2293610439

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.