This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.632 / 53°37'55"N
Longitude: -1.6993 / 1°41'57"W
OS Eastings: 419984
OS Northings: 415093
OS Grid: SE199150
Mapcode National: GBR JVKF.XR
Mapcode Global: WHCB2.WZ00
Entry Name: Church of St John the Evangelist
Listing Date: 16 May 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1135359
English Heritage Legacy ID: 341151
Location: Kirkburton, Kirklees, HD8
Civil Parish: Kirkburton
Built-Up Area: Huddersfield
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Lepton St John
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
SE 11 NE GREEN BALK LANE
SE 21 NW Lepton
2/36 Church of St. John
Gothic Revival church in Early English style. 1866-8 by T. H. & F. Healey
of Bradford. The tower was added in 1876. Hammer dressed stone with
ashlar dressings. Pitched slate roof. 4-bay buttressed nave with
lean-to south aisle. 2-bay chancel with squat buttresses with offsets.
Lean-to vestry and organ chamber to chancel south wall. Large south-
west 3-tier square tower with south doorway, paired tiny lights and
clock face to 2nd tier, and paired, louvred bell-chamber openings with
central colonnette. Crenellated parapet and mock machicolation.
4-light east window with plate tracery, with 2 trefoils and one
cinquefoil in head. 8-foiled windows to sides of chancel. Nave
and aisle windows are of 2, 3 and 4 lights with plate tracery most
with a trefoil in head, one with a quatrefoil and one with a cinquefoil.
Two lancets in west wall with 6-foil in apex.
Inferior: 4-bay south arcade, with massive arches on squat, apparently
undersized, columns. Panelled oak chancel and reredos. Well carved oak
chancel screen. Carved stone font. Recent partitioning of west end of
nave. Arched braced hammer-beam roof trusses, with turned king posts.
The tower formerly had a squat, square, slated spire.
Listing NGR: SE1998415093
Other nearby listed buildings