This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.6512 / 53°39'4"N
Longitude: -1.7309 / 1°43'51"W
OS Eastings: 417885
OS Northings: 417222
OS Grid: SE178172
Mapcode National: GBR JVC6.2W
Mapcode Global: WHCB2.DH08
Entry Name: Church of St John Baptist
Listing Date: 23 June 1965
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1135391
English Heritage Legacy ID: 341131
Location: Kirkburton, Kirklees, HD5
Civil Parish: Kirkburton
Built-Up Area: Huddersfield
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Kirkheaton St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
SE 11 NE CHURCH LANE
2/15 Church of St. John Baptist
Church, mainly 1887-8 incorporating Perpendicular west tower and the
north chancel chapel of the Beaumont family. Hammer dressed stone with
ashlar dressings. Stone slate roof with gable copings. 3-bay nave,
west tower, lean-to south aisle and pitched roof north aisle, both
buttressed, 2-bay chancel with vestry on south side and Beaumont chapel
to north. The 3-tier tower has later south porch, diagonal buttresses
with off-sets to 1st tier, 2-light bell chamber openings with tracery,
and crenellated parapet with crocketted pinnacles. 3-light west window
to tower, and 6-light west window to north aisle both with Perpendicular
tracery. Large square headed traceried 2-light windows to south aisle
and 2, 3 and 4-light Perpendicular windows to north aisle. East chancel
window is 5-light with intersecting tracery, with 2 circles and a
cinquefoil in head. The 3-light east window of the Beaumont Chapel is
original, square headed with 5-foiled lights. An original 3-light window
exists on the north side of the chapel, 3-light with 5-foiled heads and
Interior: 3-bay arcade to north and south on short octagonal piers.
Hammer-beam roof to nave and north aisle.
Four extremely fine monuments in the Beaumont chapel: To Sir Richard
Beaumont (d. 1631) of Whitley Hall, by Nicholas Stone, a recumbent effigy
on a dresser tomb. Engaged Corinthian colonnettes to each side support
round arched surround to the central plaque. Surmounting each colonnette
is standing female figure and surmounting the arch is a coat of arms.
All in marble and painted. To Richard Beaumont of Whitley Hall (d. 1692),
a central plaque stating his many virtues. The plaque is supported by
cherubs and surmounted by a male and female bust, and an urn and coat of
arms. To Richard Beaumont of Whitley Hall (d. 1704), possibly by Guelfi
(Pevsner) and dated 1731, a well carved bust under a simulated cloth
baldacchino on a heavy consoled pedestal carved with palm leaves and
flanked by framing urns, all supported on a heavily fluted sarcophagus
with lions feet. To Charlotte McCumming (d. 1813), by S. & T. Franceys
of Liverpool: the inscription is on a sarcophagus which is split, and rising
from it is the spirit aided by two angels.
Also in the chapel is an C18 oak lecturn with bulbous stem.
Several other memorials in the rest of the church including one at the
east end of the north aisle, to 5 members of the Dickins family who died
between 1677 and 1702, a plaque with carved stone surround of flowers and
foliage, crested with urns and a shield, and with two skulls at the base.
At the base of the tower a well carved alabaster memorial to Robert Henry
Tolson depicting St. Peter being released from prison by the angel.
Marble font, probably late C19, well carved with clustered pedestal and
angels supporting 8-sided bowl.
At the west end of the north aisle, a long coffin lid with a shield and
a sword, probably C13. (Pevsner).
N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England, 1967.
Listing NGR: SE1788517222
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings