This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.6517 / 53°39'6"N
Longitude: -1.3054 / 1°18'19"W
OS Eastings: 446010
OS Northings: 417469
OS Grid: SE460174
Mapcode National: GBR MVB6.5P
Mapcode Global: WHDCD.XGKW
Entry Name: Ackworth Grange
Listing Date: 25 March 1968
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1135478
English Heritage Legacy ID: 342629
Location: Ackworth, Wakefield, WF8
Civil Parish: Ackworth
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: East Hardwick St Stephen
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
ACKWORTH RIGG LANE
(north side, off)
3/29 Ackworth Grange
House. Late C18 or early C19, on earlier site. Coursed squared sandstone,
slate roof. Rectangular plan. Two storeys and 3 bays, symmetrical, with
full-height bows flanking the centre; central round-headed doorway with
double doors, fanlight with radiating glazing bars, and pedimented Tuscan
doorcase with mutules to the pediment; above this, a 12-pane sashed window;
the flanking bows have tripartite sashed windows on both floors, with flat-
faced mullions, 12-pane sashes in the centre and 8-pane sashes at the sides;
modillioned cornice and low blocking course; low-pitched hipped roof and
side-wall chimneys. Left return wall has 2 windows on each floor, all blind
except the upper left, and cornice carried round. Larger service element to
rear, earlier than front range and of 3 storeys to same height, and with same
cornice continued, has, inter alia, a doorway and 2 windows with arched heads
(probably early C19 alterations) and boxed sashed windows on all floors.
Interior: fine cantilevered stone staircase, half-turned with landings, with
scrolled soffits to the steps, iron balusters with foliated panels, and
ramped handrail with wreathed curtail; 6-panel doors with reeded architraves.
History: known as "Briars Flatts" in late C18, acquired by Roman Catholic
Tempest family of Broughton Hall nr. Skipton in 1836, and then known as
Ackworth Grange; former Catholic chapel by Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin, 1842, demolished 1966. Reference: Kate Taylor, Wakefield District Heritage (Wakefield 1979) Vol II p.78.
Listing NGR: SE4601017469
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings