This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.7135 / 53°42'48"N
Longitude: -1.4717 / 1°28'18"W
OS Eastings: 434963
OS Northings: 424246
OS Grid: SE349242
Mapcode National: GBR LT5H.5K
Mapcode Global: WHDBY.CXFK
Entry Name: Church of St Peter
Listing Date: 11 July 1961
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1135489
English Heritage Legacy ID: 342543
Location: Wakefield, WF3
Electoral Ward/Division: Stanley and Outwood East
Built-Up Area: Wakefield
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Stanley St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
SE32SE STANLEY ABERFORD ROAD
4/50 Church of St. Peter
11 July 1961
Church. 1821-4 by Peter Atkinson Junior, rebuilt 1911-13 (apart from the
west end) by W. D. Carbe of London. Ashlar. Welsh slate roof. Twin west
towers, 6 bay nave with lean-to 6-bay aisles, 2-bay chancel with later
vestry to south. The broad west front is flanked by 2 tall 4-stage octagonal
towers. The 3rd stages have short lancets and the upper stages form an open
belfry with Perpendicular openings, gargoyles, pierced parapets and
pinnacles. Central arched door with flanking 3-light windows. Above is a
large 5-light window with Perpendicular panel tracery, flanked by tall, very
slender, 2-light windows. Nave: buttressed aisles, each bay gabled and
with large 3-light window with Decorated tracery of different designs in the
heads; 2-light square-headed clerestory windows; the +-bays at the west end,
north and south, have very slender 2-light windows and rise above the aisles
as short square towers. Tall 2-light chancel windows. The east end, flanked
by broad angle buttresses which support a low arch. Two intermediate
buttresses frame and separate a central 3-light window and 2 lower 2-light
windows with Decorated tracery. Below is a passage leading to the crypt.
Interior: tall nave with 6-bay arcade on slender filleted columns which rise
through the clerestory and carry the wall posts of the arched-braced roof
trusses. The south chapel has been separated to form a smaller chapel.
Aisle roofs have wooden transverse vaulting. Wooden, vaulted, chancel roof
with well-carved frieze. Carved stone font with excellent tall oak cover of
1916 carved with pierced panels and Decorated tracery with a crocketed spire.
Excellent choir stalls with misericords whose superb carvings depict "The
Creation", 1924 by H. P. Jackson of Northowram.
N. Pevsner. The Buildings of England, 1967.
K. Taylor. Wakefield District Heritage, 1975
(Wakefield EAHY Committee).
Listing NGR: SE3496324246
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings