History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Shepherds Arms Public House

A Grade II Listed Building in Horbury, Wakefield

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.659 / 53°39'32"N

Longitude: -1.5501 / 1°33'0"W

OS Eastings: 429831

OS Northings: 418148

OS Grid: SE298181

Mapcode National: GBR KVM4.62

Mapcode Global: WHCB5.5949

Entry Name: Shepherds Arms Public House

Listing Date: 15 February 1966

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1135511

English Heritage Legacy ID: 342498

Location: Wakefield, WF4

County: Wakefield

Electoral Ward/Division: Horbury and South Ossett

Built-Up Area: Horbury

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Horbury Junction St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Batley

Listing Text

SE2918 HORBURY CLUNTERGATE
(south side)


9/5 Shepherds Arms Public
15.2.66 House.

- II


Public House. Timber frame of 1538, north range (Bartlett); the rest 1593,
with later cladding; extensively modernised in 1964. Rendered walls. Stone
slate roof. Two storeys. A north-south range (the southern part slightly
wider) and an east-west range giving a 'T' plan. The front is of 3 bays with
a projecting gabled wing to right (the north wing). Most openings, including
the lean-to porch to bay 3, are C20. The wing has an exposed king-post truss
in its gable. Rear: the south wing has an exposed king-post truss with a
quadrant moulding to the tie-bean and many housings in the king-post probably
for several arrangements of studding. Later flat-roofed additions to rear
not of special interest. Broad projecting lateral stack to right return,
south end.
Interior: fireplace in south wing, relating to southern projecting stack,
with a sunken quadrant moulding to the jambs, a raised keystone and a
relieving arch above; several original beams and joists. Plaster date
plaques of 1593 and fleur-de-lys have been reset as decorations throughout
the building.
The building was formerly a gentleman's residence known as Nether Hall whose
earliest known occupants were the Binns family around 1600. Later occupants
were Lawrence Horrocks, his son, William Coppendale (until 1724), John
Scholefield and John Allott of Crigglestone. It became the Shepherds Arms
beer house in the 1850s.
K. Bartlett. Report awaiting publication.
K. Taylor. Wakefield District Heritage. 1975. Published by Wakefield
European Architectural Heritage Year Committee.


Listing NGR: SE2983118148

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.