This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.6664 / 53°39'58"N
Longitude: -1.5939 / 1°35'37"W
OS Eastings: 426932
OS Northings: 418952
OS Grid: SE269189
Mapcode National: GBR KV91.QF
Mapcode Global: WHCB4.H37M
Entry Name: Healey New Mill Including Attached Chimney
Listing Date: 6 May 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1135519
English Heritage Legacy ID: 342519
Location: Wakefield, WF5
Electoral Ward/Division: Ossett
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: South Ossett Christ Church
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
SE21NE OSSETT HEALEY ROAD
6/26 Healey New Mill
Scribbling and fulling mill, now industrial units. 1826-7 for Benjamin
Hallas (Ossett clothier). Coursed squared rubble (north and east elevations)
and brick (south and west elevations). Stone slate roofs. 3 storeys and
attic. 8-bay north-south main building with a single-bay engine house to the
south and a further 2 bays, less wide, further south. To the west of the
main building (south end) is an additional 3-bay unit to which is attached
the chimney. East side: 11 bays. 3 wide ground-floor openings (one blocked,
one part blocked). 2-light flat-faced stone mullion windows with 4-pane
sashes and 18-pane fixed lights, some altered to form doorways. North gable:
four bays of 2-light windows as before but those to bay 3 have been altered
to form loading doors with hoist above. One 4-light window to gable apex.
The west elevation and the addition have similar windows but much is obscured
by later buildings. Square stone chimney with tapering brick upper part.
Later addition to south end.
Interior: the engine house, built for a 33 horse power steam engine is now
floored. The building is of "fireproof" construction with cast-iron columns,
beams and joists and stone flag floors. The columns have moulded caps and
bases and support the junctions of the beams which are of inverted T-section
with swollen bottom section, cambered and have cast sockets for T joists.
The 2nd floor is open to the roof with large queen-post trusses.
Benjamin Hallas went bankrupt in 1830 and from 1836-c1880 the mill was owned
by the Healey New Mill Company, a co-operative of 29 Ossett clothiers for
spinning, carding, scribbling and fulling. After 1881 it was used for the
recovered wool industry and mungo manufacture and later shoddy manufacture.
J. Goodchild 'The Ossett Mill Company' Textile History, pp 46-6l 1968-70.
Listing NGR: SE2693218952
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings