This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.6756 / 53°40'32"N
Longitude: -1.4596 / 1°27'34"W
OS Eastings: 435795
OS Northings: 420038
OS Grid: SE357200
Mapcode National: GBR LT7Y.S4
Mapcode Global: WHDC4.KW53
Entry Name: The Old School House
Listing Date: 14 February 1952
Last Amended: 27 August 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1135545
English Heritage Legacy ID: 342379
Location: Warmfield cum Heath, Wakefield, WF1
Civil Parish: Warmfield cum Heath
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Warmfield St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
SE 3519 and SE 3520 WARMFIELD-CUM-HEATH HEATH COMMON
6/74 The Old School
14.2.52 House (formerly listed
as "School House")
Endowed school and attached Master's house, now house. c1660 with alterations
c1751 when schoolmaster's house was added. Large well-coursed gritstone,
punch-dressed to addition, stone-slate roof. Single-storey school with 2-storey
master's cottage. Quoins. School house has 3-bay facade with central doorway
with double tie-stone jambs, deep Tudor-arched lintel with chamfered surround.
To either side a 3-light double-chamfered mullioned-and-transomed window. Coped
gables with kneelers. Set back to right, Master's house has doorway with
monolithic lintel to left of window with monolithic lintel and projecting sill
with small-paned glazing with smaller window above. Rear: chamfered cross-window
to left of 2 sash windows with lintels and projecting sills. Left-hand return,
gable-on to the Common, has large 20-pane sash window with raised plain-stone
Interior: altered to form dwelling. One pane of glass scratched "Mary Wynn 1751".
Three king-post trusses with angle-struts.
Lady Bolles of Heath Old Hall endowed the foundation with £25.12.6 annually for
a schoolmaster and usher at 'lately built school in Heath'.
Listing NGR: SE3579520038
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings