This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.675 / 53°40'30"N
Longitude: -1.464 / 1°27'50"W
OS Eastings: 435508
OS Northings: 419971
OS Grid: SE355199
Mapcode National: GBR LT6Y.VB
Mapcode Global: WHDC4.HW3J
Entry Name: Cobbler's Hall and Heath Post Office
Listing Date: 22 November 1966
Last Amended: 27 August 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1135552
English Heritage Legacy ID: 342388
Location: Warmfield cum Heath, Wakefield, WF1
Civil Parish: Warmfield cum Heath
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Warmfield St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
SE 3519 and SE 3520 WARMFIELD-CUM-HEATH HEATH COMMON
6/83 Cobbler's Hall and
22.11.66 Heath Post Office
(previously listed as
GV "Cobbler's Hall)
Former school, now altered to 3 dwellings, c1740. Hammer-dressed stone, stone
slate roof. 2 storeys. 5-bay symmetrical facade. Raised ashlar quoins and band.
Doorway with raised monolithic jambs has casement-moulded cornice and glazed
overlight. All bays have 12-pane sash windows with raised plain-stone surrounds.
Hipped roof with two large original brick stacks to rear pitch. Rear: 3 bays of
windows with flush surrounds; 3rd bay has doorway with overlight. Set between
2nd and 3rd bays is tall stair-window at mezzanine level, much reduced in size.
2-bay returns. Left-hand return has doorways made out of ground-floor windows.
Interior: much remodelled. Fluted architraves on doorcases in front rooms. Main
staircase at back, where all rooms have had corner fireplaces.
From 1749 to the 1780s this was a finishing school for young men destined for the
army and navy. It was the village post office for a time. Tradition is that
there was once a third storey.
Listing NGR: SE3550819971
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings