History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Crow Trees

A Grade II Listed Building in Rawdon, Leeds

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 53.8518 / 53°51'6"N

Longitude: -1.6826 / 1°40'57"W

OS Eastings: 420977

OS Northings: 439558

OS Grid: SE209395

Mapcode National: GBR JRPW.JZ

Mapcode Global: WHC94.4F1Y

Entry Name: Crow Trees

Listing Date: 7 April 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1135630

English Heritage Legacy ID: 342273

Location: Rawdon, Leeds, LS19

County: Leeds

Civil Parish: Rawdon

Built-Up Area: Yeadon

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Rawdon St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

LS19 (north-east side),
6/169 Crow Trees
- II

House now old peoples' home, 1628 for Christopher Coates, extended 1670 for
Samuel Coates, resited and rebuilt c1825-26, altered later C19 and C20.
Coursed squared stone, stone slate roof. H-shaped plan north-east range
shorter than south-west range. 2 storeys, south-west range with attic; 3 bay
parallel ranges with short link block. Double-chamfered mullion windows,
transomed to north-east range, transomes removed from south-west range.
South-west elevation: chamfered plinth, 1st-floor string, both returning;
three 5-light windows to ground floor; on 1st floor windows of 4, 2, 5 and 6
lights. Between bays 1 and 2 and 2 and 3 rise gables, each having oculi
flanking a datestone, left one incised SC 1670 (Simon Coates), right one with
raised lettering "CC 1628" (Christopher Coates), and a stopped 3-light window
with stepped hoodmould. Gables have shaped kneelers, ashlar coping and
finials. End stacks, that to left external, with strings and cornices;
another stack to ridge between bays 2 and 3. Projecting from right side is
C19 single-storye porch with chamfered, quoined, triangular-headed entrance.
Nort-east elevation: doorway between bays 1 and 2 has moulded, quoined, bi-
cusped architrave, the lintel stone also bi-cusped, and a chamfered 2-light
overlight above; inserted window to right a 3-light window beyond and a 2-
light window (mullion removed) to left. On 1st floor windows of 3, 3 and 2
lights; moulded kneelers ashlar coping; stacks to left end and to rear roof
pitch on right south-east elevation: link block has tall stair window of 3
cusped lights and another of 2 cusped lights to 1st floor right (both C19).
North-west elevation: north-east range has a 5-light window with hoodmould to
each floor the upper lights round-arched; south-west range has 3-light
windows to ground floor, windows of 2 and 3 lights above and 2-light attic
Interior: Stair hall has: late C17-style oak panelling with raised and
fielded pane Doric pilasters and bolection-moulded architraves to doors;
open-well closed-string newel stair with turned balusters and ramped
handrail; stained-glass stair window. Panelled north-west ground-floor room
has C18 style.

Listing NGR: SE2097739558

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.