This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.748 / 53°44'52"N
Longitude: -1.456 / 1°27'21"W
OS Eastings: 435972
OS Northings: 428095
OS Grid: SE359280
Mapcode National: GBR LT83.L5
Mapcode Global: WHDBY.L2W1
Entry Name: Church of St John the Evangelist
Listing Date: 5 June 1964
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1135676
English Heritage Legacy ID: 342100
Location: Leeds, LS26
Electoral Ward/Division: Rothwell
Built-Up Area: Rothwell
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Oulton with Woodlesford St John
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
SE 32 NE ROTHWELL LEEDS ROAD
LS26 (west side)
6/87 Church of St. John
5th June 1964 the Evangelist
Church. 1827-29, by Rickman and Hutchinson. Sandstone ashlar, slate roof.
West tower with spire, nave with north and south aisles, north porch, apsidal
chancel with hexagonal south vestry. In Early English style. The 3-stage
tower, with prominent angle buttresses, has a 2-centred arched west doorway
moulded in 3 orders, with hoodmould run out as a string-course carried round
the whole, a lancet in each side of 2nd stage with 3 orders of hollow
moulding, a band of quartrefoils above, tall triple-lancets to the belfry
stage (the outer blind and the centre louvred), a corbel table to the
cornice, and corner pinnacles with flying buttresses to the octagonal spire,
which has gableted lucarnes at this level and smaller lucarnes half way up.
The regular 6-bay nave and aisles, with buttresses to the aisles and lesenes
to the nave, and plain parapets to both (the upper with corbel tables in each
bay) have moulded lancets with hoodmoulds, and at the east end a buttress to
the nave finished with a tall octagonal pinnacle. The north aisle has a very
prominent gabled porch to the 3rd bay, with emphatic angle buttresses and
similar corner pinnacles, a shafted outer doorway moulded in 3 orders, a
hoodmould with figured stops, a corbelled niche above, parapet with weathered
coping and apex finial, a lancet in each side, a vaulted ceiling, and an
inner door with 3 orders of deeply-undercut moulding. The buttressed 3-bay
chancel with 3-sided apsidal east end has shafted lancets under hoodmoulds
with figured stops, and plain parapet with slender pinnacles rising from the
buttresses ; and attached on the south side a hexagonal vestry, like a
chapter house, in matching style.
Interior: a lofty and luminous impression given by tall arcades of columns
with engaged shafts, 2-centred arches with 3 orders of moulding, and
groin-vaulted ceiling with carved bosses, the groins springing from clustered
wall-shafts between the arches; aisles and chancel also groin-vaulted;
heavily moulded chancel arch carried by shafted piers; organ loft at west end
on canted 5-bay arcade; in the apse, rich blind arcading in Geometrical
style; in north wall of chancel a gabled canopied recess with carved
cinquefoil surround, framing a wall monument to John Blayds of Leeds and
Oulton, "the Founder of this Church", died 1827, with inscribed footnote
"formerly Johnn Calverley"; walls plastered and whole interior painted white.
History: see Oulton: Villaoe Church Estate, St. John's Press, 1979.
Listing NGR: SE3597228095
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings