This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.1646 / 53°9'52"N
Longitude: -2.8065 / 2°48'23"W
OS Eastings: 346180
OS Northings: 363355
OS Grid: SJ461633
Mapcode National: GBR 7F.4NSG
Mapcode Global: WH88G.VQSB
Entry Name: Church of St Peter
Listing Date: 1 March 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1135747
English Heritage Legacy ID: 55540
Location: Waverton, Cheshire West and Chester, CH3
County: Cheshire West and Chester
Civil Parish: Waverton
Traditional County: Cheshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire
Church of England Parish: Waverton St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Chester
SJ 46 SE WAVERTON C.P. THE VILLAGE
2/28 Church of St. Peter
Church: tower C16, aisles and nave roof early-mid C17, restoration
and additions dated 1845, and 1888 by John Douglas when clerestorey
rebuilt. Ashlar Waverton red sandstone, Lakeland green slate roof.
3-bay nave, 1-bay chancel with continuous north and south aisles.
3-stage west tower. Nave bays are divided by buttresses and have
rectangular windows of 3 round-headed lights. On south side is a
blocked basket-arched door and a late C19 window of 2 ogee-headed
lights. Similar round-headed light windows in clerestorey. 3-light
perpendicular-style east window with round-headed light windows in the
end of the aisles. Tower has angle buttresses and good 4-centred
arched west doorway with arms in the spandrels below a label mould on
figure stops. Central figure seated on hood mould flanked by the arms
of the Dutton and Hatton families. 4-light Perpendicular window of
1888, square opening with quatrefoil, under hood mould and louvred
3-light bell opening in the top stage, below an embattled parapet.
Late C19 recessed, shingled pyramidal roof.
Interior: Entry into re-opened tower porch with plaques recording the
restorations. Tall tower arch on applied hexagonal piers opens into
nave with 3-bay arcades on octagonal piers. Restored hammer-beamed
roof dated 1635 with carved brackets and pendants has dentilled
arrises to arch braces and window braced purlins. Contemporary
lean-to aisle roofs have similar decorative treatment. Chancel is
timber framed internally (perhaps copying original treatment) and has
good fittings of late C19/early C20 including a memorial pulpit of
1903 to the 1st Duke of Westminster. Very detailed board of customary
table of tithes in porch.
Listing NGR: SJ4618063355
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings