History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St. Mary the Virgin

A Grade II Listed Building in Burghfield, West Berkshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.4106 / 51°24'38"N

Longitude: -1.0367 / 1°2'12"W

OS Eastings: 467094

OS Northings: 168396

OS Grid: SU670683

Mapcode National: GBR Q4Y.9R

Mapcode Global: VHCZH.ZS9Z

Plus Code: 9C3WCX67+78

Entry Name: Church of St. Mary the Virgin

Listing Date: 28 January 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1135772

English Heritage Legacy ID: 39993

Location: Burghfield, West Berkshire, RG30

County: West Berkshire

Civil Parish: Burghfield

Built-Up Area: Burghfield

Traditional County: Berkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Berkshire

Church of England Parish: Burghfield

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in


SU 66 NE

CHURCH LANE (north west side)
Church of St. Mary the Virgin


Parish church. 1843 by J.B. Lacey in the Romanesque style, the chancel added in 1892 by Bodley and Garner in the Decorated style. Brick in header bond, stone chancel, stone dressings to doors and windows: steeply pitched slate roof. Wide nave, wide transepts, chancel, and west tower; two entrance porches in the angles between the tower and nave. Four bays of round headed windows with stained glass to nave, two bays with leaded lights to each transept, two-light windows with reticulated tracery to nave. Large stone corbel blocks under eaves to nave. Tower in three stages, the top stage polygonal with a small squat spire on top, stone arcaded opening at bell stage and stone oculi below.

Interior: An C18 wall tablet on the north wall of the north transept, marble with pediment, to Mrs. Mary Robinson who died 1789. A C14 carved wood effigy of Sir Roger de Burfield contained in a glass case in the chancel. Two C15 stone effigies under the tower, believed to be of Neville, Earl of Salisbury and his wife, Alice, both defaced. The font is a large tapering bowl of C12 re-cut C14 in ten-sided form with shallow trefoil-headed panels. Stained glass in east window by Burlison and Grylls.

Listing NGR: SU6709468396

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.