History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Folly Farmhouse and Entrance Court to East

A Grade I Listed Building in Sulhamstead, West Berkshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.4158 / 51°24'56"N

Longitude: -1.0943 / 1°5'39"W

OS Eastings: 463083

OS Northings: 168919

OS Grid: SU630689

Mapcode National: GBR B4R.06H

Mapcode Global: VHCZG.ZPC0

Entry Name: Folly Farmhouse and Entrance Court to East

Listing Date: 25 October 1951

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1135848

English Heritage Legacy ID: 40025

Location: Sulhamstead, West Berkshire, RG7

County: West Berkshire

Civil Parish: Sulhamstead

Traditional County: Berkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Berkshire

Church of England Parish: Sulhamstead Abbots and Bannister with Ufton Nervet

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

SU 66 NW


Folly Farmhouse And Entrance Court To East


Farmhouse now house. Circa 1650, enlarged by Sir Edwin Lutyens in 1906 in a
free William and Mary style and again in 1911 in a Neo Venacular style. North
wing: C17 and 1914. Red brick, timber framed with red brick nogging and plaster
panels, and old tile roof. 3 framed bays, that to right of 1914. East front:
1 storey to right and 2 storeys to left. Hipped eaves dormer to rear with 2-
light casement. Large mullioned and transomed window to right, 2 first floor
2-light casements to left, and 2 ground floor 3-light casements flanked by 2-light casements; panelled door between first and second windows from left with C18 carved architrave and Console brackets supporting cornice. East block: grey brick with red brick and ashlar dressings, and hipped old tile roof. H-plan. South front: one storey centre with 2 storey wings. Gauged window heads, ground floor window aprons, chainage, chamfered quoins, plat band, 2 central ridge stacks on wings with arched panels, and stack and 2 hipped semi dormers to rear. 3 bay centre with 2 bay wings. 3 tall central segmental headed 6-light mullioned and transomed leaded windows, and 2-light leaded casements in wings. 2 bay return fronts with 2-light leaded casement to north, first floor blind circular windows to south, and glazed doors beneath with moulded architraves, central uncarved blocks above, pulvinated frieze, and cornice. East front: central first floor 2-light leaded casement with louvred shutters, ground floor 2-light leaded casement to left, and central doorway with moulded architrave, blank panel above, and off-set door behind. West block: red brick, some first floor tile hanging to
left, weatherboarded gable end to south, and old tile roof with catslide over
loggia to south-east. Irregular T-plan with circular dairy to north. 1½ and
2 storeys. 2 hipped dormers with 2-light leaded casements to south and one
to east; large 2 storey hipped canted bay to west consisting of battered ground
floor with arches to north and south, and open first floor with balustraded
sleeping balcony; large stack adjoining sleeping balcony to north with central
rectangular dummy shaft flanked by 2 diamond shafts. South front: square pool
courtyard to right consisting of L-shaped loggia with battered piers, 4 bays to
right with glazed doors behind, and 3 bays in left-hand return front with 2-
light casements behind and round arch at south-end; projecting square porch in
angle, and steps into pool at north-west and south-east corners; 2 storey canted
bay in left-hand gable end with leaded mullioned and transomed windows. Entrance
Court: approximately 10 metres square. Red brick panelled walls with tiled coping, approximately 3 metres high. Central semi-circular arches to north, south and west with segmental relieving arches, and tiled spandrels; arch to west has gate with radial fanlight. Wall extended to north-east to connect with barn (q.v.) Interior:1906 block: central double-height hall with coved ceiling and first floor balcony at each end and fireplace to north; drawing room with arched glazed cupboards flanking fireplace; 1912 block: dining room with frescoes by Sir
William Nicholson, and very large chimneypiece; panelled library. Free Arts &
Crafts fittings throughout. Gardens designed by Lutyens and Gertrude Jekyll.
R. Gradidge, Edwin Lutyens Architect Laureate London, 1981. See also Edwin
Lutyens, exhibition catalogue Hayward Gallery, London, 1981. B.0.E. (Berks),
pp. 231-2; County Life Vol.Ll,Jan. 28, 1922, pp. 112-119, and Feb 4, 1922,

Listing NGR: SU6308368919

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.