History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Andrew

A Grade II* Listed Building in Sonning, Wokingham

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4741 / 51°28'26"N

Longitude: -0.913 / 0°54'46"W

OS Eastings: 475588

OS Northings: 175571

OS Grid: SU755755

Mapcode National: GBR C5J.HZD

Mapcode Global: VHDWV.465T

Entry Name: Church of St Andrew

Listing Date: 26 January 1967

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1135979

English Heritage Legacy ID: 41208

Location: Sonning, Wokingham, RG4

County: Wokingham

Civil Parish: Sonning

Built-Up Area: Woodley

Traditional County: Berkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Berkshire

Church of England Parish: Sonning

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Sonning

Listing Text

SU 7575 SONNING

14/43 Church Of
26.1.67 St.Andrew

GV II*

Church. Originally Norman. Flint with stone dressings and tile roof. Exterior
almost entirely re-built. Perpendicular tower of cheque flint and stone has
3 stages and battlemented parapet. South door has a roll mould surround, over it
a Norman window, 2 lancets in an arched surround with a shell shape in
typanum. Completely restored in l853, further restorations between l87O-1890.
Furnishings almost entirely C19. Original choir screen remains, now used as
an organ screen. Delicate tracery at head of each bay and there is a late
Perpendicular archway between chancel and the north chapel. Early English nave
arcades with rebuilt clerestory. East window decorated. MONUMENTS North Aisle.
Monument to Anne Clark wide of Sir John Clark of Walford Co.Warwick. 1653. A bust
in a circular niche with architrave surround, side swags, flanking pilasters,
broken entablature, segmental pediment with central cartouche of arms, carved
base. Adjoining are 2 carved stone armorial monuments. Hidden by the organ is a
monument with barley sugar columns. South Aisle. A kneeling figure in niche with
drapery, flanking columns on scroll corbels, and arched head. Katherine, Lady
Lidcott, 1620.On south wall are some figures from a C16 tomb found during the
1853 restoration.
Under the tower - The Rich monument. 4 white marble cherubs carrying a black
marble table on which stand 2 large carved urns with inscriptions.Under the
table is carved heaped drapery anal a cartouche of arms lying flat: Other
monuments include one to William Barker of Sonning, 1758 by Westmacott,
brasses to the Barker family, C15, C16 and C17 and one to Lord Stowell,1836.
B.O.E.Berkshire p.219-220 V.C.H.Vol.111.p.219-222.


Listing NGR: SU7558875571

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.