This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.4043 / 51°24'15"N
Longitude: -0.9117 / 0°54'42"W
OS Eastings: 475797
OS Northings: 167815
OS Grid: SU757678
Mapcode National: GBR C69.Y1Z
Mapcode Global: VHDX1.4YWV
Entry Name: Church of St Bartholomew
Listing Date: 26 January 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1135983
English Heritage Legacy ID: 41415
Location: Arborfield and Newland, Wokingham, RG2
Civil Parish: Arborfield and Newland
Built-Up Area: Arborfield
Traditional County: Berkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Berkshire
Church of England Parish: Arborfield
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
ARBORFIELD AND NEWLAND CHURCH LANE
SU 76 NE (north side)
9/16 Church of St. Bartholomew
Parish church. 1863 by J.A. Picton in Early Decorated style to replace
earlier church now ruined and listed separately (8/3). Flint with stone
dressings, fishscale tiled roof with decorative ridge tiles. 5-bay nave,
aspidal chancel, west tower and broached spire, gabled porch entry on south
at west end. Buttressed walls, diagonal buttressed to chancel and tower;
2-light reticulated traceried windows. Tower in 3 stages, 3-light traceried
window on west front, 2-light similar windows on second stage and 2-light
openings with boarded infill at bell-stage. Interior: contains some fittings
and monuments from old church; C18 turned baluster altar rails, and wooden vase
shaped font. Glass:- Head of Aaron, 1744, by John Rowell of Reading in head
of window south single light window in nave, second bay from west end,
remaining stained glass in chancel and 4 nave windows is C19. Monuments:-
in north aisle to Sir William Standen died 1639, and his wife Mary Backhouse
of Swallowfield. 2 recumbent alabaster effigies on a black marble altar top
with a small daughter at their feet, leaning on a stall and holding a
cartouche of arms. The south side has 4 Doric columns supporting top with
panels between, the outer with a coat of arms, the centre with inscription.
On west wall to Edwardus Standen, 1750; an inscription panel flanked by
fluted pilasters supporting a cornice broken forward over pilasters, flanking
urns and central cartouche of arms. A small brass to Thomas Howard, 1643
above 2 incised slate tablets; one to the wife of Rev. H. Hodgekinson 1804; the
other to the Reverend Henry Hodgekinson, 1839. E.O.E. (Berkshire) p.66.
V.C.H. Vol.III p.202.
Listing NGR: SU7579767815
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings