History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St John the Baptist

A Grade II Listed Building in Aldford, Cheshire West and Chester

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.1291 / 53°7'44"N

Longitude: -2.8698 / 2°52'11"W

OS Eastings: 341896

OS Northings: 359456

OS Grid: SJ418594

Mapcode National: GBR 7B.6Z9N

Mapcode Global: WH88M.WML0

Entry Name: Church of St John the Baptist

Listing Date: 1 June 1967

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1135984

English Heritage Legacy ID: 55208

Location: Aldford and Saighton, Cheshire West and Chester, CH3

County: Cheshire West and Chester

Civil Parish: Aldford and Saighton

Built-Up Area: Aldford

Traditional County: Cheshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire

Church of England Parish: Aldford St John the Baptist

Church of England Diocese: Chester

Find accommodation in
Saighton

Listing Text

SJ 45NW ALDFORD C.P. CHURCH LANE
(North side)

6/13 Church of St John the
Baptist
1/6/1967

II

Church, 1866, by John Douglas, built at the expense of 2nd Marquis of
Westminster. Red sandstone with graded grey-green slate roof and
shingled spire. Three stage tower with recessed octagonal spire; nave
with south and north aisles; gabled south porch; chancel and south
vestry; north chapel. Tower has an octagonal stair turret with
spirelet of stone; lancet windows to first and second stage; paired
bell-openings with central shaft and plate tracery to bell chamber;
corbelled open parapet. East, west and aisle windows have geometic
tracery; paired lancets to clerestory have free-standing dividing
shafts internally. Rose north window to chapel.
Interior. Four bay nave has circular columns of polished granite,
crocket capitals and a stone angel in each spandrel; arched trusses on
carved stone corbels. Chancel arch with carved text around reveal.
Painted, panelled cradle roof to chancel. Damaged dedication stone
from the former church over south entry; stone to right commemorates
rebuilding by 2nd Marquis of Westminster. Inlaid marble pulpit; grey
marble font; C19 stained glass with Morris east window in north
chapel; reredos with mosaics in 5 panels by Salviati; C18 and 19
tablets; benefactions board in vestry. The church adjoins remains of
a motte and bailey castle.


Listing NGR: SJ4189659456

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.