History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Lyegrove House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Sodbury, South Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5335 / 51°32'0"N

Longitude: -2.3237 / 2°19'25"W

OS Eastings: 377645

OS Northings: 181674

OS Grid: ST776816

Mapcode National: GBR 0NM.TL6

Mapcode Global: VH95V.NQX8

Entry Name: Lyegrove House

Listing Date: 17 September 1952

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1136069

English Heritage Legacy ID: 34166

Location: Sodbury, South Gloucestershire, GL9

County: South Gloucestershire

Civil Parish: Sodbury

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Old Sodbury St John the Baptist

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Great Badminton

Listing Text

ST 78 SE SODBURY LYEGROVE
2/117
17.9.52 Lyegrove House
GV
II*


Early C17; east wing late C18, altered in late C19, and restored in 1927 by G H
Kitchin for the Earl of Westmorland.

Rendered. Cotswold stone tiled roof. Two storeys and attics in 4 curvilinear gables
(probably late C19). Four windows, glazing bar sashes under string courses/dripmoulds
on ground and first floor. Projecting central porch with Tuscan columns on pedestals,
entablature and balustraded parapet; dated 1927 over door. Shields in gables carry
Westmorland arms (1927).

Late C18 2-storey east wing with balustraded parapet (1927). Five windows with
glazing bar sashes (3 are double height lighting the drawing room). Projecting
bay/porch, balustraded parapet. To the rear of adjoining the east wing is a range of
offices around a courtyard, formerly for domestic/storage purposes, servants quarters
and a nursery.

Interior: In staircase hall: a C17 style staircase assembled from C17 parts by
Kitchin. Renaissance fireplace, dated 1633, said to hae been brought from Little
Sodbury Manor with initials ESa (Edward and Ann Stephens) and TS, ES and IS (Thomas,
Edward and James Stephens).

Drawing room in late C18 east wing has good carved, pine fireplace.
See also:

Country Life 14.12.29.


Listing NGR: ST7764581674

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.