History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The School

A Grade II Listed Building in Shinfield, Wokingham

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4037 / 51°24'13"N

Longitude: -0.947 / 0°56'49"W

OS Eastings: 473345

OS Northings: 167716

OS Grid: SU733677

Mapcode National: GBR C68.TN7

Mapcode Global: VHDX0.JZR8

Entry Name: The School

Listing Date: 26 January 1967

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1136149

English Heritage Legacy ID: 41464

Location: Shinfield, Wokingham, RG2

County: Wokingham

Civil Parish: Shinfield

Built-Up Area: Reading

Traditional County: Berkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Berkshire

Church of England Parish: Shinfield

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Earley

Listing Text

SHINFIELD HYDE END ROAD
SU 76 NW (west side) Schoolgreen

8/30 The School
26.1.67
GV II

School. Dated 1707, extended C19 altered C20. Built by Richard Piggott, Master
Cutler of London. Brick, tiled hipped, gabled and coped gabled roofs of varying
heights. Irregular plan. One and 2 storeys, and 2 storeys with attics. Road
front: C18 part in centre with brick plinth, first floor string, moulded,
modillioned wood cornice, flanking chimneys either side of hipped roof; 2 hipped
dormers with 2-light leaded casements. 4 bays of 4-light wood mullioned and
transomed windows with leaded lights and central half glazed double door in
early C19 door case of reeded pilasters and small reeded cornice. Stone panel
with inscription and date over door. Flanking on either side are two C19 additions.
To the left a hall in brick with stone dressings. 3 stone cross windows with
leaded lights and one of 6-lights; and a stone panel with inscription and 1889
date between 1 and 2 windows on left. To the right a brick and stone coped
gable with stringcourse, 2 wooden cross windows with leaded lights; a clock
in the gable and an arched bellcote above with pedimented top, housing 3 bells.
Between the stringcourse and the clock there is a stone panel with inscription
and 1860 date. To the right of this, is a single storey classroom with 3 bays
of 2-light windows with stone mullions and dressings and leaded lights. VCH
Vol 3 p 261 BOE (Berkshire) p 216.


Listing NGR: SU7334567716

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.