History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Former Postillions House at South-East Corner of Stable Yard

A Grade II* Listed Building in Eaton and Eccleston, Cheshire West and Chester

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.1409 / 53°8'27"N

Longitude: -2.8772 / 2°52'37"W

OS Eastings: 341419

OS Northings: 360772

OS Grid: SJ414607

Mapcode National: GBR 7B.63MF

Mapcode Global: WH88M.S93Z

Entry Name: Former Postillions House at South-East Corner of Stable Yard

Listing Date: 2 November 1983

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1136231

English Heritage Legacy ID: 55262

Location: Eaton and Eccleston, Cheshire West and Chester, CH4

County: Cheshire West and Chester

Civil Parish: Eaton and Eccleston

Traditional County: Cheshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire

Church of England Parish: Eccleston St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Chester

Find accommodation in
Saighton

Listing Text

SJ 4160 EATON C.P. EATON PARK

9/66 Former Postillion's
House at south-east
corner of Stable Yard

GV II*

Postillion's House 1873 by Alfred Waterhouse for 3rd Marquis of
Westminster. Buff stone with roof of graded grey slates forming-a
truncated pyramid with dormer gables at base. 3 storeys, 2 windows;
joined to Chapel (q.v.) by 2 storey wing with arcaded passage in lower
storey. Leaded corner spirelets. 2 symmetrically placed banded stone
chimneys with circular flues; larger chimney to north. Octagonal
corner buttresses. Windows have shaped mullions and transomes and
patterned leaded glazing. Central half-dormers to south, east and
north, the southern one carved. 2 full-dormers, one carved, to west.
Entrance from the former Hall is via the chapel narthex and the
arcaded passage; from the stable yard by a pentice-roofed porch. The
east side shows the marks of a demolished wing.
Interior: Not inspected.
The house, in C16 chateau style, and the Chapel were designed as the
northern wing to the former Hall, to be seen from the garden (east)
and the entrance court (west).


Listing NGR: SJ4141960772

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.