This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.0132 / 53°0'47"N
Longitude: -2.7134 / 2°42'48"W
OS Eastings: 352235
OS Northings: 346443
OS Grid: SJ522464
Mapcode National: GBR 7K.G7D3
Mapcode Global: WH899.9J5D
Entry Name: Church of St Chad
Listing Date: 1 March 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1136242
English Heritage Legacy ID: 55622
Location: Tushingham-cum-Grindley, Macefen and Bradley, Cheshire West and Chester, SY14
County: Cheshire West and Chester
Civil Parish: Tushingham-cum-Grindley, Macefen and Bradley
Traditional County: Cheshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire
Church of England Parish: Tushingham St Chad
Church of England Diocese: Chester
TUSHINGHAM CUM GRINDLEY C.P. CHESTER ROAD A41
SJ 54 NW
3/79 Church of St Chad
Church 1860-63 by Robert Jennings of Atherstone, with west tower 1897
by Hodgson Fowler; of red sandstone with grey slate roofs. Cruciform;
3-stage tower; aisleless 3-bay nave with south porch; l-bay transepts;
2-bay chancel; sacristy in corner of chancel and north transept. The
crenelated tower of coursed tooled masonry is Perpendicular with
octagonal north-west turret, panel tracery in west window of 3 lights
and bell openings of 2 lights, St Chad in niche on south side of lower
stage and 1-light trefoil-headed window in north and south sides to
bellringers' chamber. The body of the church of random rubble, Early
English, has lancet windows with hoodmoulds on stiff-leaf corbels,
square buttresses and coped gables with kneelers and finials.
Interior: Plastered with stone dressings. Chancel arch with
half-octagon responds; transept arches with half-round responds;
encaustic tile floor. Arch-braced nave roof; braced collar trusses to
chancel roof. Memorials and commemoration windows to members of
Kenyon and Vaudrey families, died 1866 to 1917; north window of north
transept in memory of Catherine Elizabeth Kenyon, widow of Hon.Edward
Kenyon, given by her brother in 1904 - vigorously expressed.
Octagonal font on colonnettes in west tower baptistry.
Listing NGR: SJ5223746444
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings