This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.255 / 50°15'18"N
Longitude: -5.1574 / 5°9'26"W
OS Eastings: 175025
OS Northings: 44219
OS Grid: SW750442
Mapcode National: GBR Z7.B4C7
Mapcode Global: FRA 082C.4KC
Entry Name: Chacewater Primary School with School House
Listing Date: 15 November 1993
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1136291
English Heritage Legacy ID: 63149
Location: Chacewater, Cornwall, TR4
Civil Parish: Chacewater
Built-Up Area: Chacewater
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Chacewater
Church of England Diocese: Truro
15-NOV-93 CHACEWATER PRIMARY SCHOOL WITH SCHOOL
National School and schoolhouse built originally in 1848 (PRO) was altered and enlarged in 1861, 1878/9 and 1896/7. The first north western extension was added by William White in 1861, the south western extension was added by James Hicks in 1878/9 and finally the further extensions to the north western wing were the responsibility of Silvanus Trevail who prepared his designs in 1896. The school was transferred to the School Board in 1876.
Elvan ashlar to front with granite window frames and mullions, otherwise killas rubble with some freestone and granite dressings. Dry Delabole slate roofs with crested clay ridge tiles. Rendered brick axial stacks flanking schoolhouse and stone lateral stack of 1861 to rear wing south wall to east end. Tudor style. Originally a symmetrical plan of central 2-room 2-storey schoolhouse to north and boys schoolroom to south and with gable roofed porch at each end. Girls schoolroom porch removed and rear wing added 1861; further wider wing added to rear of boys schoolroom for Infants and small wing in angle between 1861 wing and schoolhouse in 1878/9 and further classroom for boys added to west of 1861 wing and girls classroom added to west of adjoining wing in 1896/7. Single storey except for 2-storey schoolhouse. Symmetrical east front of 3:1:3 bays. Continuous plinth. Central coped gable ended projection of schoolhouse with datestone 1847 surmounted by bellcote. Cusped kneelers. Ground floor has central canted bay window with flat roof and 2-light window with hoodmould over. Both with central mullions removed when present circa early C20 glazing inserted. Each schoolroom has central narrow window originally with central mullion and flanking wider windows retain central mullions but intermediate mullions removed. Original porch survives to south end but north porch replaced 1861 by 2-light freestone window with cusped lights, plate tracery and pointed hoodmould. Similar window to gable end of 1861 wing.
Interior roof mostly obscured but scissor trusses to 1863 wing. Schoolhouse interior has open beams.
Sources PRO and CRO.
CRO ASRP 13/4
School Board Minutes
Listing NGR: SW7502944230
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings