This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.2538 / 50°15'13"N
Longitude: -5.1565 / 5°9'23"W
OS Eastings: 175087
OS Northings: 44075
OS Grid: SW750440
Mapcode National: GBR Z7.B4MC
Mapcode Global: FRA 082C.BXW
Plus Code: 9C2P7R3V+GC
Entry Name: Church of Saint Paul
Listing Date: 30 May 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1312862
English Heritage Legacy ID: 63147
Location: Chacewater, Cornwall, TR4
Civil Parish: Chacewater
Built-Up Area: Chacewater
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Chacewater
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SW 74 SE
5/53 Church of Saint Paul
Parish church. 1828 when parish was created out of Kenwyn. Rebuilt 1892, except for
tower, to a design by Edmund Sedding of Plymouth. Elvan ashlar and killas, some
granite and Polyphant stone dressings. Dry Delabole slate roofs with gable end over
east end, adjoining tower at west end plus lean-to aisles to north and south below
clerestorey. Restrained Perpendicular style outside, pointed inside. Nave and
chancel under 1 roof, west tower, north and south aisles. West entrance front of
central 4-stage embattled tower, the second highest in Cornwall with strings dividing
stages of diminishing width. Octagonal embattled stair turret to east of north wall
rising to higher level. Blocked tower doorway with Perpendicular style Polyphant
stone tracery in tympanum of 4-centred arch. Over doorway in 3rd stage is early
Perpendicular style 2-light granite window with hoodmould. Similar windows to upper
stage with slate louvres. Similar doorway to each aisle flanking tower with 4-centred
arch and original 1892 doors. North and south walls of aisles have 1:2:1 bays with 2
central bays broken forward with chamfered corners. Each bay has 3-light flat-headed
Perpendicular style windows, those to end bays having hoodmoulds. Trefoil headed
lights with original 1892 coloured glass. Similar window to east end of south aisle.
Chancel has slightly projecting gable with 5-light limestone window from St Mary's
Church Truro, installed by Pearson and with original glass circa mid-late C19.
Central figure of Jesus flanked by Saint Philip, Saint John, Saint James the Less and
Simon the Zealot. East end of north aisle has doorway like recess with glazed
Perpendicular style Polyphant stone tracery in tympanum of 4-centred arch.
Clerestorey of nave and chancel has 5 small arch headed windows to north and south.
Vestry doorway to east end of south aisle is later insertion.
Interior is restrained with exposed killas rubble walling. 5-bay arcades between
nave and north and south aisles with octagonal Polyphant stone piers and pointed
granite arches. Pointed arch between chancel and alter projection. Pointed rubble
tower arch. 1892 waggon roof over nave and chancel. 1892 fittings of Perpendicular
style painted freestone font; octagonal pulpit of polychrome polished Serpentine with
open arcade on turned shafts, carved lecturn of figure of Saint Paul by Harry Hems of
Exeter and simple pitch pine pews with blind arcade carving to ends. Earlier oak and
mahogany grained boards in Gothic style within tower, pointed with The Lords Prayer,
The Creed and The Ten Commandments. 1 original bell in tower.
In 1866 the 'West Briton'of the day reported, "During the thunderstorm on Saturday
last (Feb 3rd) Chacewater Church which has recently been repaired was struck by
lightning which split the wall from ground to roof. Several windows were smashed into
hundreds of pieces being hurled from the west end up to the pulpit, a distance of 90
Information from Church Guide.
Listing NGR: SW7508744075
Other nearby listed buildings