History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Esperanza

A Grade II Listed Building in Aust, South Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5979 / 51°35'52"N

Longitude: -2.6128 / 2°36'46"W

OS Eastings: 357648

OS Northings: 188960

OS Grid: ST576889

Mapcode National: GBR JP.BKH5

Mapcode Global: VH881.N3KD

Entry Name: Esperanza

Listing Date: 21 October 1952

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1136366

English Heritage Legacy ID: 35174

Location: Aust, South Gloucestershire, BS35

County: South Gloucestershire

Civil Parish: Aust

Built-Up Area: Aust

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Olveston

Church of England Diocese: Bristol

Find accommodation in
Oldbury upon Severn

Listing Text


ST 58 NE AUST

7/78 Esperanza
21.10.52
G.V. II

Farmhouse, now house. C16, tie-beam dated 1788 in former cheese-loft gives
date of C18 remodelling, with later alterations. Rubble, partly rendered to
west, pantiled roofs to west, double pantiled to east, stone slates, gable
stacks. Through passage plan. it storey block to west,: 2½ storey central
block and single storey pitched roof wing to right, 1:2:1 windows, ground left
has 16-pane sash in exposed box under timber lintel, 3-light casement with iron
stanchions in left gable, C19 12-pane sashes in exposed boxes to central block,
3-light unglazed window with timber mullions, frame and lintel to right, gabled
porch to right of left block has wooden basket arched head with inserted carved
timber with scrolled ends said to come from wrecked Spanish ship Esperanza,
2-light diamond mullioned window to each side with leaded lights, door with 2
moulded panels in heavy frame; west side has some stone slates remaining at
eaves, C20 door. Rear has 3-light casement under timber lintel at ground floor
west, similar 2-light casement above, C20 door in position of rear through
passage door; projecting gabled wing has ground floor 3-light casement, under
timber lintel, 2-light casement to east and 3-light above, C19 2-light window in
gable, east wing has door and 2 windows, all under timber lintels, 2-light to
ground and opening only at upper level; well in rear courtyard. Interior:
large fireplace with C18 dentilled overmantelbacking on to through passage,
formerly had salmon-smoking oven, change in ceiling level marks former wall, now
one room with C18 dentilled overmantel to smaller fireplace, chinoiserie
ventilation panel to side cupboard to left cupboard to right with shaped shelves,
all doors of 2 panels, C18 shutters to right of through passage, plank shutters
to rear windows to west, C20 winder stair in original position to left of
through passage; west block has smoke-blackened principals in roof over former
hall, major roof principals of early date over east block remodelled in C18.


Listing NGR: ST5764888960

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.