History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Consolidated Mines, Engine House

A Grade II Listed Building in Gwennap, Cornwall

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.2357 / 50°14'8"N

Longitude: -5.1628 / 5°9'46"W

OS Eastings: 174552

OS Northings: 42092

OS Grid: SW745420

Mapcode National: GBR Z7.C8Z0

Mapcode Global: FRA 082D.NGR

Entry Name: Consolidated Mines, Engine House

Listing Date: 21 November 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1136409

English Heritage Legacy ID: 63192

Location: Gwennap, Cornwall, TR16

County: Cornwall

Civil Parish: Gwennap

Built-Up Area: United Downs industrial Park

Traditional County: Cornwall

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall

Church of England Parish: Gwennap

Church of England Diocese: Truro

Find accommodation in
Saint Day

Listing Text

GWENNAP
SW 74 SW
4/94 Consolidated Mines, Engine House
21.11.85
GV II
Beam engine house ruin. Circa early C19. Killas rubble with granite voussoirs, some
jambstones, and lintel to ground floor, east, otherwise wooden lintels and wooden
bearing pads for floors. Rectangular plan with thicker bob wall to north, surviving
to full 2 floor height, formerly timber studded gable over. Originally with 3
floors. South wall partly built into bank is mostly fallen. West wall ½ fallen.
East wall survives at north end to full 3 floor height, with 1 window to ground
floor, right and 2 windows to first floor (left window blocked).
Bob wall has arched ground floor opening with dressed granite jambstones and
voussoirs. Designed for load bearing, outer half of doorway is narrower with
segmental arch and projecting keystone. Inner half of doorway, also with abutment,
has complete round-headed arch. (Compare east engine house of Cusvey Mine qv).
Timber floor bearing pads over.
Detached chimney to south at higher level, (separate item).
Part of the Consols Mine which was Cornwall's most productive mine in the early C19.
From 1823 to 1825 the Consolidated Mines produced 12½% of the total copper of Great
Britain, and 15-25% of the Cornish total. Extract from History of Gwennap by C.C.
James.


Listing NGR: SW7455242092

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.