This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.5179 / 54°31'4"N
Longitude: -0.9414 / 0°56'28"W
OS Eastings: 468625
OS Northings: 514142
OS Grid: NZ686141
Mapcode National: GBR PJV6.Z6
Mapcode Global: WHF8G.HPYV
Entry Name: Red Hall Farmhouse and Farm Cottage
Listing Date: 8 September 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1136465
English Heritage Legacy ID: 60119
Location: Lockwood, Redcar and Cleveland, TS12
County: Redcar and Cleveland
Civil Parish: Lockwood
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Moorsholm
Church of England Diocese: York
NZ 61 SE GUISBOROUGH ROAD
6/69 (North side)
Farm house, mid C18, subdivided into house and cottage in 1974.
Herringbone tooled, squared sandstone. Late C20 concrete tiled roof cover imitating pantiles. Stone stacks with cornices. Except for the east gable lean-to, all windows are uPVC casements. When listed in 1986, windows were replacement sashes.
Hearth cross passage plan of 3 bays and 2 storeys. The 1974 subdivision, separated the eastern bay from the cross passage to create a single bay cottage accessed via the single storey lean-to on the east gable.
The plan form and the style of the lintels indicate a likely mid-C18 date, although a later C18 date is also possible. The building is shown on the 1856 Ordnance Survey map. The footprint of the farm buildings to the north changes by the time of the second map edition in 1895, possibly the result of investment by the Skelton Estate in 1884. The name "Red Hall" could indicate that the building made early use of red pantiles instead of thatch.
All front openings, including the front door and the window to the lean-to, have keystoned lintels of a form popular in the 1750s-80s. The ground floor window to the east of the entrance has been widened, but retains its original lintel. The door is six panelled with scalloping to the rails, protected by a late C19 timber porch. The lean-to retains a 4/4 horizontal sliding sash. The gables are raised and coped but without kneelers. The building has end stacks and a third ridge stack immediately west of the cross passage.
The east gable has a centrally placed attic opening with plain lintel and a boarded door. The lean-to has a modern casement window and raised coping to the roof.
All rear window openings, apart from the large stair window, have undergone alteration with replacement lintels. Doors are modern. Blocked first floor doorway to the east bay possibly indicating that this was used as a granary. Small lean-to (probably a former toilet) to the west.
The west gable has inserted picture windows to the ground floor and attic.
Only the cottage was inspected internally although the house retains window shutters to the two ground floor windows. The cottage has been refurbished internally and has an inserted staircase. Its roof structure is sawn softwood with pegged purlins.
RCHME, 1987 "Houses of the North York Moors"
REASON FOR DESIGNATION
Red Hall (farmhouse and cottage) is designated at grade II for the following principal reasons:
* As a good example of an C18 vernacular, hearth passage plan farmhouse.
* Despite some modern alterations, the overall form of the building is unaltered and retains a number of features of interest such as the keystone lintels characteristic of the C18.
Listing NGR: NZ6862514142
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings