This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.2062 / 50°12'22"N
Longitude: -5.158 / 5°9'28"W
OS Eastings: 174756
OS Northings: 38794
OS Grid: SW747387
Mapcode National: GBR Z7.F479
Mapcode Global: FRA 082G.Y3S
Entry Name: Pengreep House
Listing Date: 30 May 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1136570
English Heritage Legacy ID: 63249
Location: Gwennap, Cornwall, TR3
Civil Parish: Gwennap
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Gwennap
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SW 73 NW
6/149 Pengreep House
Country house originally farmhouse before being enlarged. Built early C18, extended
circa early-mid C18 for the Beauchamp family and further extended circa 1865 for the
Williams family. Elvan ashlar wall except some rubble to rear. Hipped mostly
scantle slate roofs with parapets to south east and north. Tall brick chimneys
define original side to walls of house, now partition wall. Further chimneys to rear
of wings, over side wall, south, and over cross wall to mid C18 range (north).
Originally 2-room plan probably with rear stair turret and service wing. Extended
mid C18 with 1 room to right (north) and kitchen to rear forming further garden front
and possibly incorporating earlier service wing, now with mid C18 stair. Circa 1865
extension to left (south), 2-rooms deep and with stair and integral service room
filling space between C18 wing, 2-rooms wide, and C19 rear south west room. It is
possible that the C19 part to rear left replaces an early-mid C18 extension on the
same site and that the ashlar facing and parapet cornice are reused from this.
2 storeys. Original house, and part of early-mid C18 extension, with basement and
attics, with hipped roof dormers, to all the early-mid C18 part.
South east front has taller regular C19 2-window part projecting to left and regular
5:3 window range to middle and right. Early C18 5-window part originally symmetrical
has wider first floor middle window with 16 panes. Doorway originally directly under
wide window, was moved circa early-mid C18 to fourth ground floor opening when 3-
window part, right, was added to front. Basement as plinth, mid floor string and
moulded cornice under plain parapet. Flat arches. Original mid C18 12-pane oak
sashes with much crown glass and wide, internally ovolo-moulded, glazing bars.
Basement is blind to C19 part and last bay of mid C18 part, right. Doorway is
approached by wide flight of steps with ramped iron railing and finials. C18 6-panel
door with blind overlight. Hood on brackets over. 5-window early-mid C18 north-east
front, originally symmetrical and possibly originally with central doorway, now
window, and window to left, now doorway, with pair of 2-panel doors between wooden
pilasters. Similar detail to main front except there is no basement. Original
sashes. Further C18 sash to gable end right. Otherwise original C19 hornless
Interior Entrance hall is virtually complete survival of one of the two original
early C18 reception rooms with moulded plaster ceiling cornice, fielded dado
panelling and 8-panel door with HL hinges to semi-circular-on-plan niche to left of
fireplace. Mid C18 fireplace surround and late C18 oval over arch grate. Original
basement kitchen below has original rough-hewn oak cross beams and cambered chamfered
and stopped oak fireplace lintel. Early-mid C18 shutters. Secret panel to right of
front door, presumably using space vacated by window jamb splay. Rear passage beyond
axial passage has dado with fielded panelling. Further early C18 7-panel resited
door with fielded panes between axial passage and room to right of entrance hall.
Other rooms in early-mid C18 parts of the house are almost complete of the period and
have moulded plaster ceiling cornices, doors, architraves and window shutters. Rooms
to main front, to ground and has oak panelling and fluted pilasters and entablature
of the Doric order including triglyphs. Right-hand room also has oak panelling with
key pattern detail. First floor rooms over are also fully panelled with original
early C18 panelling and cornices to left and middle rooms and with dentilled cornice
and eared fireplace inearly-mid C18 right-hand room. Steep service stair to inner
part of rear wing is circa mid C18 with open well and chinoiserie balustrade.
Kitchen of wing and passages not overlying basement areas have granite flagged
floors. Original mid C18 kitchen dresser with entablature survives resited in axial
passage and further similar dresser in kitchen. Victorian parts of the house are
also very intact and good of their period including fireplaces, ceilings with
cornices and bands, doors, window shutters, and open-well open-string stair with
Although of 3 main periods this is a predominently mid C18 house and as such is a
fine and complete example, retaining 3 virtually complete rooms of its earlier phase
and with good quality circa 1865 additions.
Listing NGR: SW7475638794
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings