This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.4201 / 51°25'12"N
Longitude: -2.8561 / 2°51'22"W
OS Eastings: 340565
OS Northings: 169354
OS Grid: ST405693
Mapcode National: GBR JC.PY00
Mapcode Global: VH7C7.FKYQ
Entry Name: Lake Farmhouse
Listing Date: 11 October 1961
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1136606
English Heritage Legacy ID: 33695
Location: Kenn, North Somerset, BS21
County: North Somerset
Civil Parish: Kenn
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
1066/5/30 COLEHOUSE LANE
11-OCT-61 (South side)
Farmhouse. Circa 1600, with minor C18 and C19 alterations and additions. Rendered stone rubble with dressed stone quoins and chamfered stone plinth. Pantile roof with raised stone coped verges and carved stone finials to gables. Gable-end and axial stacks with rebuilt brick shafts.
PLAN: E-plan with projecting wings to left and right and porch at centre; the larger right-hand wing has been used as a cider-house, but originally it was part of the house accommodation. Small C18/19 outshuts at rear and small C19 single storey kitchen wing on rear north west corner.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys. Almost symmetrical 5-bay south front with gabled wings projecting left and right and gabled 2-storey porch at centre; larger wing on right has projecting gable-end stack; C19 2-, 3-, and 4-light casements with glazing bars; porch has plain cambered-head doorway with sundial above. Similar casements on left [W] return. Right-hand [E] return of large east wing has earlier re-used carved stone as quoin on south east corner and on right an C18 3-light timber window rebated for leaded glazing and an original early C17 deeply chamfered 3-light window frame above. At rear [N] C20 fenestration, doorway on left with heavy timber frame [cut for barrel access] and old plank door with wrought-iron strap hinges, small outshuts and single storey wing on right.
INTERIOR: Very little altered and with C18 and C19 joinery including plank and panelled doors. Kitchen to left [east] has stone flag floor, deeply chamfered beams with hollow step stops, C19 fireplace and panelled window seat; small unheated room in wing at front has similar ceiling beams. Former hall at centre has inserted partitions and C20 staircase. Parlour to right of entrance has moulded ceiling beams and fireplace in axial stack with chamfered stone jambs and elliptical stone arch. Stop-chamfered ceiling beams and cupboard with swan's neck hinges and carved frieze above on first floor. Roof structure intact with collar-trusses, two tiers of tenoned-purlins, diagonal ridgepiece and common-rafters intact. Right-hand [east] wing has similar roof structure, floor at front removed, large moulded stone Tudor arch fireplace on ground floor in front gable with smaller fireplace above, its chimneypiece missing; the back room has been used as a cider-house and has a stone flag floor, an early timber baulk straight staircase to the first floor and a chamfered timber door frame with carpenter's mitres, that has been enlarged for barrels to pass through.
SOURCE: Buildings of England, North Somerset and Bristol; p.209.
A remarkably unaltered substantial circa 1600 house.
Listing NGR: ST4056569354
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings